Lyrica?

Jay K.
on 9/29/07 12:51 pm - Madison Heights, MI
After losing over 200lbs i've been through a lot of surgeries and physical rehab in order to try and ease my pains.  I also take some very strong pain killers on a daily basis. But i find that  I just seem to be in more and more pain all the time.  This week i was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia as a secondary diagnosis and was put on Lyrica.  Does anyone here have any experience with this drug?  I'm told it is the only drug approved  by the FDA for treating fibro.  It's only been a few days but i do feel like i'm in less pain even though they tell me it takes several weeks to be effective.  BUT i'm very drowsy and have a few other undesirable effects and am hoping I adjust and overcome these side effects soon. I'm not sure what i think of the fibromyalgia diagnosis as there were some obvious problems causing my pain at first (stenosis, hernaited discs etc.) but at this point there is no logical explanation for the pain i'm feeling in many different places (neck, back, knees, arms etc.) and i definitely respond as if it's myofascial pain so hence the fibro diagnosis. I do not like being told i have something that is not very well understood or diagnosed.  I'm sure a lot of other people feel that way.

-----------------------
"See God, Kai"
-John S01EP3

Shanana
on 10/1/07 10:43 pm - Altavista, VA

Sorry to hear of your struggles. I never know from one day to the next how bad my pain is going to be either. Please let me know how you do on lyrica. The first side effect was weight gain and my drs decided that may not be the best route for me physically or mentally. Id love to hear how you do on it. You can email me anytime at [email protected]. Would be great to talk to people who are gb patients and have fibromyalgia. Wish more knew about this board. Only see a few people and would be great to see others, know they are out there.

Hugs,

Shannon

The greatest of faults, I should say, is to be conscious of none. Thomas Carlyle

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/fibromyalgia/

Debjynx
on 10/4/07 12:40 am - MN
Please keep us posted about the Lyrica.  My sister-in-law also has fibro and she's looking into it.  It's a drug that is used for Diabetics with nerve pain.  I don't have a lot of nerve pain so I'm not sure how well it will work for me.   Deb
Jay K.
on 10/4/07 2:02 am - Madison Heights, MI
i'm not using it for nerve pain.  it's not just a drug for nerve pain, it's a drug for fibromyalgia.  the thought is that with fibro the pain nerves are firing but there's no known indication for WHY they're firing.  Which may be why this drug has been shown to help people with fibro. I have not been on it long enough to say for sure if it's working but i do believe i'm seeing some results.  it's hard to tell because i have other problems that cause pain and right now they're flaring up.  but it does seem as if some of the unexplained pain has been relieved.  however sometimes when one thing hurts really badly it makes it hard to notice that something else is hurting.  it's only been a little over a week, i am supposed to give it three or four weeks to see how it works. 

-----------------------
"See God, Kai"
-John S01EP3

Lisa C.
on 10/7/07 10:41 am - Southern, GA
Hi, I just discovered  this board. I have not had gastricc bypass yet am still working on that. But I was diagosed with Fibro  3 yrs. ago. My doctor started  me on Lyrica a few months ago, it does help with the pain, it doesn't do away with it put it helps me get a little more sleep. Because of the fact it causes me to be sleepy I only take it at night before bed it might would help me more if I took it twice aday like he said to do.  It will take a few weeks of taking it for you to be able to tell the difference. Just give it a chance and hopefully it will help. I understand all the pain you are in. I had to have a fusion on my L-5 S-1 disc in 2004 and have been told I have more disc going bad, but I refuse to ever let them operate on my back again if possible to keep from doing it because after surgery I was worse than before. I take so many meds. I feel as if I rattle when I move (lol). Good luck with the Lyrica, it should help. Lisa
Jay K.
on 10/7/07 10:50 am - Madison Heights, MI
Yes, i've taken two a day and after a week i stopped getting sleepy from them.   I do have a different side effect that's bugging the heck out of me though, but this is probably not the place to talk about it. I'm still in a lot of pain though.  As for surgeries, i've got mixed feelings.  i'm in more pain since my spinal fusion but on the other hand i no longer have to fear paralysis if i fall down or take a mild jolt in a fender bender.

-----------------------
"See God, Kai"
-John S01EP3

Shanana
on 10/10/07 8:49 pm - Altavista, VA
How are you doing? Update us. Hope better! Shannon
The greatest of faults, I should say, is to be conscious of none. Thomas Carlyle

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/fibromyalgia/

BabsLISW
on 10/11/07 3:15 am - Akron, OH
I'll have to research Lyrica. I've never heard of it. I have been treated for fibromyalgia for about 10 years with Zoloft and Doxepin. Zoloft, as well as being an antidepressant, works on the pain receptors. Any kind of illness, change in weather, emotional stress will cause a flare. For me it is an over-all severe aching. Only once did it affect my arm so badly that I could not move it and had to have help dressing.

Please keep us updated on your progress! And congrats on the 200 lbs lost!

scmartin
on 10/18/07 1:09 pm - arlington, TX
I too have fibromyaglia, with a herniated disc at my S1. The lyrica has really helped me out alot. I take 2 at night and 1 in the morning, But i also have a morphine pain pump in my spine and take oxycodone 4 times a day. They also have my on Cymbalta which is an antidepressant which also help with pain. I have not had surgery yet and am hoping that once I do and lose the weight that it will also help with the pain. good luck, sherri
Rebecca W.
on 12/6/07 3:25 am - Crestivew, FL
I take mine at night before going to bed and it works a lot better for me.

"If ever there is tomorrow when we're not together.. there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we're apart.. i'll always be with you.”       ~ Winnie the Pooh

Most Active
Recent Topics