epidural injections this week

Karen K.
on 9/28/07 3:42 pm - Paris, TX
I had an epidural injection in my L4 both sides this week along with trigger points in my lower back and neck. I have had numerous injections through the last 7 years but, this one when I got home really hurt. My theory is there was not enough numbing medicine in with the steriod. Now it did not hurt when they injected me and I was awake despite their sedation efforts throughout the procedure. So I was not in any real discomfort other than feeling the needle ***** a little. For the last several days I find myself more anxious and hyper...I have a feeling it is all the steriods. My main question is with anyone that has had epidural injections before is this the normal process? Now keep in mind after I took a pain pill I eventually went off to sleep..but, I tell you it smarted pretty good for awhile and that is a little different that other facet injections I have had in the past it usually takes a few hours before the pain starts from the steroid. My pain level over the last several days has been better so I feel I have gotten some benefit from the injections. My biggest concern is how many steriods can they just keep pumping into us over time?  I have had them off and on for seven years now. I know the long term side effects cannot be good but, what are we to do when the pain is so bad??? I guess we all wonder that everyday. Any thoughts?
Shanana
on 10/1/07 10:50 pm - Altavista, VA
Hope your pain will get better. I had the epidural injection in February but had the side effect of a spinal fluid leak. I cant have anymore due to that. Laid here looking at the ceiling before my neuro demanded that they do the blood patch to fix it the day he saw me. I have received 2 SI joint injections over last few months. THey worked for a while too but are wearing off. Alot to do with the cooler weather I think. Hope they figure something else out before it gets very cold. January and Feb last year were awful. Many days i just could not move at all. The next route for me is discogram. I read that it was diagnostic. I also have an extruded disk on top of fibro. The trigger points only last me a few months so dr say I dont need anymore if they dont work. I enjoyed just having those few months that the pain was better, Fix my back for a little while and let my neck and shoulders suffer. Makes no sense to me. I have a fear of taking pain pills all the time but dont know what else to do. I worry about all the steroids injected into me too. I have the hyper side effect too and absolutely cannot take the pills. Last time I did I didnt sleep for a few days and almost had a mental breakdown. You are not alone. I feel one day I will improve and lead a more functional life. Just trying to keep the faith.  Shannon
The greatest of faults, I should say, is to be conscious of none. Thomas Carlyle

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/fibromyalgia/

scmartin
on 10/18/07 1:53 pm - arlington, TX

Hello.

IVe had numerous epidural injections. Has your Dr ever offered a rhizotomy? That is where they gone in and burn the nerves that are causing the pain. It can last for several months. I see a great pain Dr here in Texas and he finally put a morphine pump into my spine which has literally saved my life.  I had a ruptured SI with lumbar radiculopathy.I still take other meds but the pump has given me my life back. Hope this helps.

Take care, sherri,

Shanana
on 10/10/07 8:51 pm - Altavista, VA
How are you doing since your injection. Pray it provided some relief for you! Shannon
The greatest of faults, I should say, is to be conscious of none. Thomas Carlyle

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/fibromyalgia/

Most Active
Recent Topics