Best place to have a Duodenal Switch

nbrett
on 4/26/16 7:34 am - Winnipeg, Canada

I had a vertical sleeve done but I haven't lost much weight. I feel like such a loser. I have seen so many successful people but I unfortunately am not one.

I have been researching the DS procedure and I am very interested in having it done. I have my sleeve done by Dr. Almanza and although he was a very nice man and I have no complications, I was hoping to have it done elsewhere.

If anyone has some suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks so much!!

Nikki

(deactivated member)
on 4/26/16 9:01 am

The Sleeve should be enough to lose the weight, and the primary benefit of the DS is keeping the weight off long term from the malabsorption.

If your insurance covers the cost, I would stay in the US but travel to an expert. My doctor is Mitch Roslin out of Lenox Hill hospital in NY. He has been doing WLS for 25 years, and you'll know right away he is a pro.

If I had to pay myself, I'd go abroad but can't emphasize enough the importance of going to someone that has done hundreds of these operations.

Good luck with your decision.

-Flo-
on 4/26/16 10:38 am
DS on 04/11/16

I was self pay with Dr. Greenbaum in NJ. I'm alittle over 2 weeks out now and I am very happy with my decision. I see your in Canada, Dr. Gagner  in Montreal is great, I hear. 

nbrett
on 4/26/16 10:49 am - Winnipeg, Canada

Thanks so much for your reply!

I am self paying as well. I will look into Dr.Gagner. Did you have the sleeve done prior?

-Flo-
on 4/26/16 10:57 am
DS on 04/11/16

Yup I had the sleeve as well. I got the sleeve in 2014 and lost about 100lbs, I never got down to a healthy weight though and I started to regain. I hope with the DS, to reach a healthy weight and maintain that weight for the rest of my life. 

ps. I just sent you a private message. 

nbrett
on 4/26/16 10:59 am - Winnipeg, Canada

Thanks so much!!!!

hollykim
on 4/26/16 2:22 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On April 26, 2016 at 2:34 PM Pacific Time, nbrett wrote:

I had a vertical sleeve done but I haven't lost much weight. I feel like such a loser. I have seen so many successful people but I unfortunately am not one.

I have been researching the DS procedure and I am very interested in having it done. I have my sleeve done by Dr. Almanza and although he was a very nice man and I have no complications, I was hoping to have it done elsewhere.

If anyone has some suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks so much!!

Nikki

the only group I would recommend in MX for a dS is Mexicalli Bariatrics.

harrietvane
on 4/26/16 3:57 pm
DS on 02/09/16

I had Dr Gagner for my lapband to DS revision in February. I was self pay and travelling, and I found the process a lot cheaper than the US options.

He does one night in hospital, one night in a hotel with a private nurse, a set-up I found to be really good.I didn't have anyone accompanying me, so they even arranged to drop in my scripts at the pharmacy or have the pharmacy collect them, and to deliver the medication to me at the hotel. He also wrote me a letter (I was paranoid!) of all my medication given I was crossing a few international borders on my way home. 

Dr Gagner also did phone consults before and after, and this was important considering I am based overseas. 

larra
on 4/26/16 5:15 pm - bay area, CA

Since you're in Canada Dr. Gagner may be your best bet, but if you do need to go to Mexico the only one I'd recommend is Dr. Esquerra. He took over for Dr. Ungson when Dr. Ungson got a government job and had worked with him for several years before that. People who have had him for their DS have only favorable things to say about both him and the hospital.

More in a pm.

Larra

nbrett
on 4/26/16 5:51 pm - Winnipeg, Canada

Thanks Larra. You have been VERY helpful. I am leaning towards Mexico. Although Dr.Ganger is a great MD, I can't really afford him.

I look forward to looking up Dr. Esquerra.

Thanks again!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1026 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1193 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 484 views