revision

-Flo-
on 3/7/16 5:23 pm
DS on 04/11/16

Hi Everybody.

I have the sleeve. i lost about 100lbs then gained 15lbs back. I now have about 70lbs to lose. I'm thinking about doing a revision to the DS. Does a 70 lb weight loss sound realistic for a revision? I have an appt on Wed. with a DS surgeon. What questions should I ask? Also, for those of you who have had a revision, did you also get re-sleeved at the same time?

I appreciate any insights that you could offer. Thanks!

PattyL
on 3/7/16 7:43 pm

First of all, you need to make sure you are seeing a real DS doc.  Many claim to do the DS but really don't.  They want to get you into their office to sell you something else.  But yes, your goals should be attainable.

-Flo-
on 3/8/16 2:12 pm
DS on 04/11/16

I'm not sure if the surgeon I'm meeting with tomorrow is a true DS doctor. He is not listed on DSfacts.com but he is the only surgeon in the greater Boston area that even offers the surgery. I'm hoping I don't get there tomorrow and he tries to talk me out of it. 

larra
on 3/8/16 4:44 pm - bay area, CA

Flo, I've been on this board and others for the DS for over 10 years and have never heard of any surgeon in Mass anywhere who does the DS. I would recommend you ask very direct, specific questions of this surgeon (not his staff, but the surgeon himself) about does he do the DS at all, does he do revisions of sleeve to DS, is he doing the SADI/aka loop DS/aka SIPS and calling it a DS. I have a feeling what will happen is that he'll try to talk you out of it, and/or offer revision to gastric bypass instead. With gastric bypass you would all the advantages you kept when you have the sleeve - normal stomach function, ability to take NSAIDs safely, no dumping, etc.

If you don't get the answers you want, which is probably what's going to happen, get ready to travel for your DS. Lots of people do this, and the extra effort is well worth it for something you will live with for the rest of your life.

Larra

PattyL
on 3/9/16 11:20 am

I agree with Larra.  Chances are this doc is a bait and don't switcher...  Sorry!

Valerie G.
on 3/16/16 9:27 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I'm with the others - make sure you're not sold anything that's "similar to the DS".  Many docs are doing a RNY on sleeves as a revision, or SADI/SIPS or single-loop DS.  Whatever the flavor, know that these DS modifications are not proven in the long-term, and not standardized, so if you encounter any problems, it's likely that no other surgeon will work with you unless you're dying.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 715 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1020 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 342 views