Perplexed by food. Need example

islandgirl55
on 2/24/16 2:11 pm

i am post op day8. Drain is out and I'm ready to leave to return to my real home. 

Do most of you have to wait for tolerating soft foods' I had 2 bites of scrambled eggs and was what too full for way too long. Obviously, my system isn't ready for the next step. I think I'll do the three shakes for the protein but where do I get all the fat required. Am I rushing and should not worry until my system is more healed. I don't need to eat soft protein until later but can I stop worrying about fats ingested. 

I'm you get asked this a million times but is there a cookbook you have preferred that I can use for the family when I am finally able to eat. 

PattyL
on 2/24/16 3:09 pm

The only thing you have to worry about is hydration.  Just drink.  All the time.  Protein, fat, and everything else will wait.  Just learn how to drink and then eat.  After you heal a bit you can worry about all that other stuff.

I had no food restrictions and I was eating steak 10 days out but that was back when dinosaurs roamed the Earth.

islandgirl55
on 2/25/16 7:02 am

Thanks, that seems reasonable. I'm rushing food. 

NoreenRT
on 2/25/16 5:30 pm - Warner Robins, GA

Welcome to the dark side. May you have almost uneventful recovery.

For now, hydrate. You should always have something to sip on. If you feel you must eat something, I recommend mushy food. Your new designer insides are all swollen and angry right now. No sense upsetting things more by shoving in hard to digest proteins.

whatever you choose,  take it easy and go slow.

Noreen  HW 352 / SW 324 / CW 175/ LW/ 148 / GW 150   (achieved Aug 14 '11)

Brandy G.
on 2/27/16 3:27 pm
DS on 08/20/14

It will be a bit of a roller coaster for a while, but every body seems to be so different.  For example, some people have serious problems with onions, some people can handle cooked onions but not raw and some any kind of onion.  I had swallowing problems after surgery and so I stayed on the liquid diet for 2 months.   I was pretty sick of broth, but every time I tried food I got so nauseous. 

Also, when ever I tried to boost my fat up high, I would have to stay on the pot for hours.  I remember adding a tiny bit of veggie superfood powder to a shake somewhere in the 2+ month range and I was so bloated I thought I would die.  I remember hitting the wall at about three months and suddenly I could eat most low-carb things most of the time.   I'm at 1.5 years now and I can finally stand to be in the same room as a frying egg, but I would literally run out of the house if my husband cooked one for himself.   I've even eaten a fried egg or two, but they used to be a love and now I'm still not sure about them.  Go fig!  The only thing you can really count on is that you won't be able to count on liking any food all the time for a while. 

Wet things are about the only universal.  I would say get good at braising -- any meat cooked in liquid and long at low temperature.  Crockpots are an example of this.  Broth can be those cubes out of a bottle or something amazing that starts with 5 lbs of bones. 

Steak was one of the earliest foods I could eat.  I would cut it into pea sized pieces and take it really slowly, but ahh...  A sous vide cooker might be a good investment because moist meats are the staple of the honeymoon period.

Good luck!

August 2014 - DS @ Mexicali Bariatric Center / Ungson.
It took me one and a half years to lose 165 pounds.
Weight: High=314, Goal=155, Current=131

Laura in Texas
on 2/28/16 6:59 am

Eggs are hard for a lot of people in the beginning. Wait a little while before trying them again.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 637 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 988 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 337 views