VERY LOW IRON

robertabreton
on 6/25/14 6:11 am - WA

My iron levels are low. (7) The hosp talking transfusions. Mystifyed because size of red cells normal. Any insights?

MajorMom
on 6/25/14 8:18 am - VA

Yes, transfusions. Once you can get your iron and ferritin, etc. up then you may be able to try better iron supplementation to keep the levels up. When I was bringing my iron markers up it was 300mg of carbonyl iron (Tender iron from Vitalady) and 2 tablets of Proferrin (heme iron), also from Vitalady.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

robertabreton
on 6/25/14 11:14 am - WA

Iron 5.5 IN HOSPITAL BODY EATING MY HEOM. THEY DON'T KNO WHY. ANYONE ELSE WITH THIS RARE FORM OF ANEMIA. MAY DIE

Irishnurse
on 6/25/14 4:36 pm
DS on 04/17/13

Pernicious Anemia or Aplastic Anemia?

SW-340, CW-164, GW-150, 14 pounds to go...

robertabreton
on 6/25/14 5:17 pm - WA

Hemolytic anemia

fullhousemom
on 6/26/14 9:35 pm
My dad had the DS about seven years ago. Three or four years ago, he became extremely ill, ended up in the hospital, and was dianosed with autoimmune hemalytic anemia. The hematologists said that in half of the cases, there is no cause, and I have since talked to a friend whose son-in-law also had it (non-DSer). The hema did not believe it was weight loss related.

If I recall the details, certain white blood cells were killing off the red blood cells. His hemoglobin was very low.

He required about 15 "bags of blood," though I may not have the terminology correct. And through the Red Cross, they were able to find the exact kind of blood he needed. I don't recall what it was exactly they were looking for in the blood or if it had to do with the type.

They initially put him on 60 mg of prednisone in the hospital, and nothing. He told the hema that when it came to vitamins, etc, he typically took double what was prescribed....so they upped his dose to 120mg of prednisone! Massive amount of prednisone, yes, but it worked.

The recovery was difficult. You don't just go off prednisone. He had frequent blood tests to follow his hemoglobin (platelets might have been an issue too). His prednisone dosage dropped 10 mg every two weeks (and he saw the hema very frequently). He had one set back where the hemaglobin dropped and had to increase his prednisone.

He was depressed over this time, because he had very little energy or muscle. Prednisone does that too you. But I am happy to say, today he is doing wonderfully and has had no side effects or problems. I do want to emphasize how difficult it was for the first six months though.

I am not here very often, but will check for messages if you want to discuss further.
Brandy G.
on 6/27/14 6:49 am
DS on 08/20/14

Just wanted to add my experience with prednisone.  I love it.  I always have 5 times the energy and feel great.

I was on it for Adult Onset Allergies that lasted about six months.  My doctor had me boost my calcium and told me any weight gain that it caused generally left by itself after you were phased off. 

He made sure to remind me of the general rule is to take your calcium in small chunks at least 4 hours apart and to take your iron at least two hours apart from your calcium pills or even milk or yogurt.  Really upping my calcium made me constipated to levels unknown to mankind, or at least to me.  Probiotics can also make one constipated so this is something you should watch for sooner rather than later.  I ended up relying on a magnesium oxide supplement (mag0-7).  YMMV: A daily stool softener (Docusate sodium) might be enough.

Good luck.  Hope you feel better.

Huneypie
on 6/26/14 2:17 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

I've not heard of this either, but I hope you're OK and I'm sending healing vibes your way.  Please keep us posted.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

robertabreton
on 6/26/14 3:10 am - WA

Thanks for good vibes. The anemia is autoimmune caused, but they don't know yet what triggered it. I'm on a steroid to prevent more damage while they figure it out. Found C-diff in stool. Definitely did NOT have it prior to surgery 2 wks ago in CA. Treating with flagyl and something else as combo. Surgery may or may not be connected to CA hospital. Am home hospital in WA now. 

Huneypie
on 6/27/14 2:01 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

I had flagyl and it's good stuff BUT please make sure you have very easy access to anti thrush treatment (Canesten cream, pessaries, etc) and take a good probiotic.  Something like Primal Defense Ultra with 25 billion CFU (Colony Forming Units).

I was on a 4 billion CFU probiotic and took flagyl while on holiday and didn't treat the thrush 'til I got home and I've had it off and on for 2 months now!!  :-S  I've had antibiotics before and I've never had thrush.  The docs all told me AFTERWARDS that flagyl is really bad thrush-wise!!

I'm now doing a 50 billion CFU probiotic, live yogurt, pessaries, creams, NSAIDs, antihistamines and the only thing I can say on the subject is ITCHEE!! 

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 979 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1170 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 442 views