Newb Introduction and questions...

Tanya Priest
on 4/28/14 4:24 pm
DS on 09/02/14

Hello! I'm Tanya, and I've been a fat kid since before I can remember. Honestly, I won the title "Champion Chubby" at the Kern County (in CA) Fair in 1990 at the tender age of 1... its been downhill from there ever since. I'm now 24, 5'6, weigh (as of this morning) 332, which is down from a lifetime high of 352. I find myself worried that I won't be able to keep the co-morbidities at bay for much longer (I currently don't have any.)

I'm pretty excited about my (hopefully soon) DS surgery. I'm going to have an appointment on May 6th to see my PCP for my 2nd Nutrition/DR supervised diet plan meeting, may 7th for the initial surgeon consult, May 9th I have my Psych eval... and last week I started getting all my Dr records from my former home state sent to my PCP. 

Now, my questions...

What should I expect from my psych eval? I'm nervous because I'm currently on welbutrin for depression. 

What was anyone's timeline like from beginning to surgery (not including your thinking about it time. I've done that for years now.)?

Has anyone dealt with Federal Blue Cross Blue Sheild? If so... What was your experience like?

Thank you for reading, and Thanks ahead of time for any answers I might receive!  

Duodenal Switch Surgery preformed on 09/02/2014 by Dr. Donovan TeelII at Miami Valley Hospital in Dayton, OH. 

You can't change what you refuse to confront. 

PeteA
on 4/29/14 2:00 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Hello and welcome.

I started the journey several times. The last go around was the fastest. I had my first pre-op appointment 12/26/12 and then surgery on 4/15/13.
I was self pay so I didn't have to be concerned over the supervised diet.

Being on meds for depression shouldn't make any difference. In my psych eval they seemed to want to weed out the people that would have trouble
sticking to the post-op schedule, and of course the seriously troubled, the "i have voices telling me what to do types". They were also looking for eating
disorders, but not to rule people out, just to get them any counseling they might need pre and post op to be a success. I wouldn't sweat it. It sounds like
your motivted and have thought this through.

No help with insurance. I wasn't covered under my plan at the time.

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

Irishnurse
on 5/1/14 3:05 pm
DS on 04/17/13

Psych eval was a breeze and I have issues. More than anything they may want you to agree to return after surgery for post sessions. Unless you have a major eating disorder you will prolly pass with flying colors. I was SOOOOO worried about the eval. It was worry for nothing. Seriously, quit worrying. Obesity usually causes depression. You will be doing a surgery that will prolly HELP your depression. 

SW-340, CW-164, GW-150, 14 pounds to go...

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 980 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1170 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 445 views