Anxiety post-op?

KellyJTn
on 1/7/14 11:09 am - Oak Ridge, TN

Has anyone experienced anxiety post-op? I've never had a problem with anxiety until the last year. I am 2.5 years post-op and I get severely anxious to the point that I feel like I can't handle certain situations without a panic attack coming. I lost my job almost a year ago, and have gotten 2 jobs in the last year, but when things seem too much for me, I go into panic mode and can't function, so I end up quitting. It seems overwhelming to the point that I just want to walk away from everything. I feel like I can't even go into a job interview now without almost shutting down and not being able to answer questions. I have never been like that before! I have always been a very upbeat and outgoing person who can talk to anyone, and who can sit down and multi-task without pressure bothering me. I have no idea what's happening with me, but I feel like I can't even control it now. 

From what I have read, there are some vitamin deficiencies that can cause anxiety? From a list I have found, B, omega 3, potassium, magnesium, selenium, GABA and zinc. Can anyone tell me a proper dosage for us DSer's on the above? Or if you have experienced anxiety like this and what you do for it? I need to fix this because it's severely getting in my way of even being able to provide for my family. :( 

~Kelly ~   
SW 364/CW 164/GW 150             

S Andrews
on 1/7/14 12:10 pm - eatonville, WA

Many years ago I suffered from anxiety attacks. It was before weight loss surgery but my body was still very depleted of many nutrients. One of the biggest problems was with my B vitamins and potassium.. I started by getting mega doses of the vitamins I needed back into me so that I could heal. The Dr explained to me that the nerve endings at the base of the brain are literally frayed and they need to heal. The B vitamins are stress vitamins and help with that healing process..I went to the health food store and bought a supplement called CALMS FORTE. I would take that when I started feeling an attack coming on. It would help me to relax. I also beefed up my magnesium. I took hot baths and went for long walks. The Dr also mentioned that a 20 minute walk was equivilant to 10 milligrams of valium. There were many nights my husband would get up and going walking with me at 3AM in the freezing cold so I could walk off the anxiety. None of this was a quick fix but it worked and my body healed.I did some massage therapy and other techniques that would help me to relax. Massaging the temples helped too.

I wish I could tell you how much to take of the vitamins post surgery but I wouldn't want to give you bum information. I understand your frustration. Its something that I hope never comes back again. Try to get rid of the things that stress you in your life. Find things that will help you to relax and bring you peace.

wishing you well!

Sharon

dustycroy
on 1/7/14 1:15 pm
DS on 05/14/13
Have your thyroid checked.... I had that problem and now I am on medication for it. Its an easy fix. If they find out your to low. Make sure they start low 25mcgs check in six weeks and then up it some more slowly, not all at once, that in itself can cause panic attacks. That's what happened to me so I always warn people. Up slowly check in six weeks, and keep doing it until your in the right range. Unless you have hypo thyroid that means your making to much and they need to bring you down. If you find out it is a thyroid problem, then you will most likely find other people in your family that have it also...it runs in families .

enlightened HW 372 SW 350 CW 185 GW 150 Lost 187 so far....

jashley
on 1/7/14 4:06 pm
DS on 12/19/12

Interesting!!  I found that I had this happen to me after my DS.  My sister had anxiety attacks for years and was on medication.  I never had any symptoms even though my life was ten times more stressful then hers.  Until the surgery.

I talked about the surge of adrenalin I was getting, the racing of the heart, the strange feeling I was having, and she told me that it was the beginnings of a panic attack.  I had no idea what it was.

I got really serious about my vits, and stayed on top of my vits levels.  And my diet.  I noticed it went away when I made sure I got enough D3, B complex and exercised.  I don't have the surges anymore, but I know what they are now and what causes them.  I also realized that the attacks were happening because I was looking for a job, was unemployed, and highly stressed. 

Get your vits down and follow what the Vitalady says we should take until you do your labs and find out you need more of certain vits.  I also started doing EFT – tapping.  This helped so much, it’s free, easy to do, and it really works.  Just get into the habit of it and do it every morning, every evening before you go to sleep, and any time you feels stressed.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 434 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 881 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 2 replies · 295 views