Pos. Pregnancy Test

mhiggins
on 12/12/13 6:39 am

OK, so Im freaking out a bit! Just starting to get my vit levels in order, eatting more protein, taking care of myself all around...and BOOM! Surprise, I got a positive pregnancy test. Wow! I am excited, my fiance and I have been together for over a year, and we plan to marry.  But I am nervous, help me make a healthy baby! Any experience, strength and hope!!!! HELP! What do I do about vitamins, do I take more? More protein? 

Leslie is my Angel*
[[ m i s s y ]]

MajorMom
on 12/12/13 7:02 am - VA

Congratulations!  You keep getting your full-up labs done. Don't just take a prenatal vitamin like most OB/GYNs will tell you. They are absolutely clueless about nutritional labs and less than clueless about DSrs' requirements. You stay on something like Vitalady's plan. If your vitamin A is within normal range you can cut back but keep an eye on it via your labs. Keep your protein at or above 120 grams a day. Eat green leafy veggies and no problem with eating full fat. Also there's a FB group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/374327862665599/

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

mhiggins
on 12/12/13 7:11 am

Thanks Major!  My vit a was at a high normal last labs (b4 pregnancy) and I was not taking my vitamin A suppliments at all. THanks for your help.

Leslie is my Angel*
[[ m i s s y ]]

SHFT_2
on 12/12/13 7:35 am - Grand Rapids, MI

No advice to offer but wanted to say congrats! I can't wait until we are far enough out to start trying. I have  a long while to wait still (only on my 5th month)

DS completed on 7/29/13

HW 379 SW 354  CW 190

Down 189 pounds

T Lady
on 12/12/13 8:05 am, edited 12/12/13 8:07 am
Congrats!
I would say to keep on top of your vites, get labs done every 3 months. Iron is especially sensitive, so make sure that it stays up. Proferrin worked well for the most part with my 1st pregnancy, but in my 2nd pregnancy, I had to get Venofer infusions. Vitalady has the best folic acid with a super high dose. I'd get that from her ASAP.

Original DS-1/07/09- Dr. Simper, SW: 286, LW:170, Post-op HW:194

Hiatal Hernia Repair & Revised DS to Hess Method-1/29/14- Dr. Keshishian, SW:194, CW:176, GW:130ish

PCOS w/ 2 post DS pregnancies!

mhiggins
on 12/14/13 10:33 am

Maybe yoou can answer this question for me.  Prenatal vitamins, should I be taking double the recommended dosage? Says take 2 a day. Should I take 4?

Leslie is my Angel*
[[ m i s s y ]]

T Lady
on 12/16/13 7:37 am, edited 12/16/13 7:37 am
I kept taking my DS Vitalady vites and replaced my 2 multis per day with prenates, and kept taking all my other vites separate. I did end up adjusting based on my labs (which I had drawn every 2-3 months) and added folic and multiple forms of iron, hoping to absorb as much as possible. Baby takes from your stores, not the daily intake.

Original DS-1/07/09- Dr. Simper, SW: 286, LW:170, Post-op HW:194

Hiatal Hernia Repair & Revised DS to Hess Method-1/29/14- Dr. Keshishian, SW:194, CW:176, GW:130ish

PCOS w/ 2 post DS pregnancies!

larra
on 12/12/13 12:55 pm - bay area, CA

Congratulations!

Your and your docs should consider this to be a high risk pregnancy. It would be best if your OB-GYN were to confer with Dr. Greenbaum regarding potential vitamin and protein problems to aim for prevention rather than trying to catch-up during pregnancy. You will probably need to do some educating of your OB-GYN. But no need to panic, we've had other post-Ds pregnancies around here that have been very successful for both mother and baby. It just requires education, vigilance, and attention to detail.

And another way to look at it is that whatever the risks now, they are probably less than if you were still MO.

Larra

mhiggins
on 12/13/13 1:43 am

I live in Myrtle Beach SC now,  their are no doctors down here that do the DS surgery! Some do the sleeve but none do the DS.  So im kind of at a stand still with a surgeon down here. advise?

Leslie is my Angel*
[[ m i s s y ]]

larra
on 12/13/13 3:48 am - bay area, CA

Your OB can consult with Dr. Greenbaum by phone or email.

Another alternative would be for the OB to at least confer with a local bariatric surgeon who doesn't do the DS but is at least familiar with it. I think this is an inferior alternative partly because we've seen so much poor nutritional advice from surgeons who provide almost identical advice for both DS and gastric bypass, and also because some surgeons may not want to become involved in the care of someone who isn't going to have surgery with them and thus isn't "their" patient, either for financial or legal reasons.

So I would still advise to have your OB confer with Dr. Greenbaum. In this modern day and age, the distance shouldn't matter.

Larra

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 833 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1091 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 365 views