Taking Calcium with other vits?

jashley
on 12/3/13 1:12 pm
DS on 12/19/12

I got confused on a thread I read.  I have historically read that I should take my calcium with magnesium, dose for dose, and taking just 1200 mg of calciums (with a magnesium pill) at one time.  So I take calcium 3 times a day, with a magnesium pill.

Recently I read where people add D3 to the calcium dose because it helps us absorb the calcium better. 

Doesn't the calcium bind with the D3 and make it useless?  Am I risking my D3 levels by taking it with the calcium doses?

As always, thanks for the education.

MajorMom
on 12/3/13 6:16 pm, edited 12/3/13 6:17 pm - VA

You don't have to take D3 with your calcium. You just want D3 in your system--great labs for D3, 70-100. You do want to take mag cit with your calcium doses and you can take boron if you choose. You can also add vitamin K2 as you would D3--away from the calcium but in your system.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

jashley
on 12/3/13 10:42 pm
DS on 12/19/12

This is what I have been doing.  I will continue on with this.

PattyL
on 12/3/13 6:41 pm

Lots of people here, myself included, can wax poetic for hours about what does and doesn't go with what.  And I'm sure quite a few people will give you good advice.

My advice is more real world.  It's always better to take your vites than skip them because of what goes with what.  Much better.  People who aren't having problems with deficiencies can probably afford to do this.  If you battle deficiencies all the time that's a different story.  You may have pay attention to the what goes with what and take your vites accordingly.  I just don't think we need to make this so complicated that it's a huge temptation to just skip it.  There are times when taking vites 10X per day just can't be squeezed into the schedule.  Just do the best you can and give yourself a pat on the back for getting them all in!

A day here and there is not going to make or break your levels of anything.  I know this is heresy but if I'm going out of town for the weekend, I pack my multis, calcium, and that's it.  I go back to my regular regimen when I get home.  I take mine twice a day, morning and evening.  The only thing I have had to change since my DS almost 11 years ago has been fewer B's, more D, and more calcium.  I now take Calcium Citrate, Calcium Carbonate, and Calcium Apatite.

People tend to go to extremes on the supplement issue.  On one side you have quite a few of the docs and NUTS telling people to pop a couple Flintstones and we are good to go.  On the other side there are folks taking pills every 2 hours 24X7.  One extreme undersupplements and the other may well be over supplementing.  Let your numbers be your guide and don't make this more complicated than it has to be.

MajorMom
on 12/3/13 6:45 pm - VA

***LIKE***

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

fullhousemom
on 12/3/13 9:47 pm
Loud applause!
ElijahsMama
on 12/6/13 1:37 am

*claps* *Looks for like button*

jashley
on 12/3/13 10:41 pm
DS on 12/19/12

I understand your point, but let me share a different perspective on this.

I'm looking to find what goes with what to maximize my vits as much as possible.  Why?  Because I am unemployed, and getting rather desperate financially.  The state of California pays unemployment benefits when it wants to, and there is no human to talk to (you can call for days and the system just hangs up on you).  I've seen friends wait over 3 months for a benefit check.

I don't have the money to do labs.  And I want to maximize the money I do put into vits as much as possible.  I have not had labs done since Kaiser did a  couple of them 3 months out.  I am exactly 1 year out now.  Labs will have to wait, so I hope I am taking my vits the best way I can.

PeteA
on 12/4/13 1:03 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I haven't seen anything that would indicate calcium and D3 together either helps or hurts. . MajorMom is on point the idea is  that you need the D3 in your system (already absorbed) and that is what helps calcium absorption.  I take my D3 with calcium and it  hasn't caused a problem with my calcium absorption and the D3 is going up little by little. 

I think some of the marketing people decided to add D3 to calcium (ie Citrical Max and others) because of the link but it really blurs the line because they don't ever say the real gain is taking one less pill ( for those people that only need a little D3 - not likely for a DS'r ).

I agree with the previous post that there are people at both sides of the spectrum. Separating everything as much as possible or gobbling vits in big batches. I tend to do 4 batches a day plus iron and vit c at bedtime. Mostly I think the approaches reflect peoples personalities and schedules, some people also absorb better than others but  I think 3 or 4 batches  work for the vast majority.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 978 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1169 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 440 views