What Should I ask My Surgeon Pre-Op?

Katie H.
on 10/15/13 12:45 am - NC

I am a Bander seeking revision to the Switch, seeing Dr. Sudan at Duke. I did my whole pre-op testing and clearance process with another office (We thought I wanted to revise to RNY, I changed my mind), but I've been able to transfer all of my results over to the new surgeon's office.

I have an appointment to go back in a month from now to see where we are with insurance and to make sure we've got all pre-op testing covered(which I think I do). After that, I guess all there is left to do is nail down a date... so things are moving pretty quickly now.

I have a few questions about the actual surgery part of things and I'm compiling a list of things to ask him about when I see him. I would love it if any of you could share what you would/did/should have asked before your surgery specific to the surgery and immediate post-op.

Some of the things on mine are: Does he do a feeding tube post op if so, for how long, how long will the surgery be, can I have a Zofran script sent home with me, can i keep the band after he digs it out, etc.

What else?? 

Thanks!!

Katie

Lap-Band 09/10, seeking revision.

calendargirl
on 10/15/13 1:31 am - Land of Oz, KS
DS on 04/20/12

Have you seen this list of questions to ask your surgeon?

http://www.dsfacts.com/Questions-To-Ask-Your-Surgeon.html

C-Girl

Starting Stats: Ht: 5' 0" HW: 242 ~ SW: 229.9 ~ CW: 117 ~ Goal: 124.9 ("normal" BMI)
% EWL @ 03 months: 36%             % EWL
 @ 09 months: 80%
% EWL @ 06 months: 63%             % EWL @ 12 months + 2 weeks: 100%

Katie H.
on 10/15/13 10:38 pm - NC

I had seen it but I had forgotten about it. Thanks!

Katie

Nancy T.
on 10/15/13 6:07 am
DS on 07/16/13

Katie, I had my DS with Dr. Sudan in July.  I am a virgin DSer so I really don't know what he would do with patients who had the band.  I did not have any feeding tubes post-op.    I had a catheter and the usual heart monitor, pulse oximeter, plus access to a morphine pump.  Each day they removed one of those connections.   My surgery was about 4 hours.  He does not require you to do a liquid fast pre-op except for the day prior to surgery.

I know you have other questions to ask but this is my experience with him.  I highly recommend him.

Katie H.
on 10/15/13 10:37 pm - NC

Thanks for the info, that's what I was looking for. Will double-check with him on next appointment. (:

Glad to hear a recommendation as well!

Katie

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 736 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1036 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 348 views