Pregnancy post DS

KellyJTn
on 9/17/13 5:51 am - Oak Ridge, TN

I'm 3 years post-ds and was curious if any others here have went thru a pregnancy and how it worked out? I'm not pregnant, but bf and I have discussed having one together in future years after we get married. I'm curious how my vitamin intake will work. Will I have to majorly increase my vitamins? How was the weight gain? I am terrified of going back up! If I do, will it fall back off post pregnancy? I'm at 175 now and am scared to death I'll get back into the 200's and won't be able to lose it again. 

Thanks for any input! 

~Kelly ~   
SW 364/CW 164/GW 150             

Allisoninjax
on 9/17/13 6:44 am - FL

Hi!, I can't speak for the DS but I had a RNY and had a baby five years after.  I was at goal weight.  I did not gain any weight during the pregnancy.  I maintained my weight through out with normal gains.  I came out of the hospital with very little baby weight.  I was concerned but I took my B-12 every month and everything worked out.  The baby was perfect.  I would say make sure you lose all of your weight first and maintain it for at least a year if you can before you have a baby.  That is just my opinion and I am not medically trained.  I would check with a WL doc.  I went to one every month to get my B-12 shot and to confirm that my blood and vitamins were good.  I have gained weight post baby.  I also am a older Mom.  I just went to the WL doc and they put me on a very strict diet and I dropped 32 pounds in a month 1/2.  So, I guess my pouch is still working.  I had just gotten off track without****ching what I was doing.  Mainly eating and drinking together.  I am not a big sweet eater.  But, I did carb out.  No more of that.  I wish you the best.  Having my son has been the highlight of my life.  Good Luck!

MajorMom
on 9/17/13 7:21 am - VA

Argh!!!   I lost my entire post to you!!    Let's see if I can do it again. {sigh}

Hi Kelly,

I know quite a few perfect post-DS babies. Their DS moms followed their surgeons or the DS vets advice about vitamins and labs. The crap they heard from their OB-GYNs was pitiful and uninformed. One of the things they did was not take huge doses of vitamin A (palmitate) but kept their vitamin A lab in normal ranges. They kept their folate up by taking sublingual folic acid. As long as you're following a great vitamin plan, such as Vitalady's, getting your labs done yearly or more, making tweaks to your vitamins when needed, and keeping your protein serum in the 4s. the albumin in the 4s and your prealbumin at the top of the range you should be fine.

The weight will come off if you gain much at all. Stay low carb as much as you can pre-pregnancy, and when you do get pregnant, add more green veggies, sunflower seeds and some fruit and berries. The baby will take everything it needs from you, all this is to make sure you're ok nutritionally too. : )

Good luck!

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

T Lady
on 9/20/13 4:20 am, edited 9/20/13 4:20 am
There are quite few of us that have gone before. If the DS facts site (linked in my sl) is up and running, there is a lot if useful info in there. Your worries are valid, but pregnancy after DS is awesome! I actually loved both of mine.

Original DS-1/07/09- Dr. Simper, SW: 286, LW:170, Post-op HW:194

Hiatal Hernia Repair & Revised DS to Hess Method-1/29/14- Dr. Keshishian, SW:194, CW:176, GW:130ish

PCOS w/ 2 post DS pregnancies!

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 435 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 882 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 2 replies · 296 views