Can't Eat... Soooo Frustrated

2ndChance2k13
on 8/31/13 1:16 am
DS on 07/08/13

I am 1 month, 3 weeks from surgery.  I am frustrated because I am throwing up 2 - 3 times a day.  No matter what I try to eat that's not yogurt, cheese or a protein shake but, is still soft (tilapia, tuna salad, egg) is coming back up.  I have not even considered having things I can't like pasta, bread, beef or pork.

I went to the doctor for my 6 week check up.  He said he wants to do an endoscopy to scrape my opening between my stomach and the intestine so food would pass through.  When he couldn't assure with that it wouldn't affect my weight loss, I asked for a little more time and to try a little longer.  So, I am turning to you guys.

PLEASE, give me some suggestions as to how to overcome this.  What were or are you eating at about two months out?  I need to find something to eat.

My life is extremely hectic.  I work 14 - 15 hour days and I go to graduate school full time so, I need things I can prepare in advance and take with me, as well.

I think because I can't get the food down, my weight loss has slowed.  I have certainly had days where nothing worked and, I know that will hurt me nutritionally in the near future.

Please help.

Revision to DS from RNY on 7/8/13 - HW 493/SW 483/CW 383

dandm4life
on 8/31/13 1:44 am - grand rapids, MI
DS on 09/05/13

This probably isnt what you want to hear, but i would do whatever the surgeon suggested, the weightloss will pick up again, but not being able to eat can cause long term damage. Just my 2 cents.

Valerie G.
on 8/31/13 1:52 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Ummm no - do not think that this will correct itself.  It sounds like a blockage somewhere.  Think of it this way - your food cannot digest to go through you, so it comes back up the other way.  It's probably staying in your body as long as it can before your body finally rejects it.  You're going to have to deal with work and grad school, or you'll have bigger heath problems.

At 2 mos out I was eating any and everything I wanted to.  Let the doctor help you.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

dustycroy
on 8/31/13 2:19 am
DS on 05/14/13

By all means LET THE DOCTOR HELP YOU, this is NOT normal, and very serious.  I have seen a few other people say they had an endoscopy, and it made all the difference in the world, as far as opening things back up, and if it doesnt at least your finally going to get some insite about whats wrong....  Please dont wait any longer....  Good Luck, please let us know what happens......

enlightened HW 372 SW 350 CW 185 GW 150 Lost 187 so far....

larra
on 8/31/13 2:35 am - bay area, CA

Strictures are not common with the DS but they do happen, and it sounds like you might have one. If so, having it dilated could make all the difference. No way to know without looking for it, and no, it won't fix itself.

Larra

jashley
on 8/31/13 3:23 am
DS on 12/19/12

At 2 months out, I was eating anything that wasn't nailed down.  I would let the doctor take a look at this. 

2ndChance2k13
on 8/31/13 4:54 am
DS on 07/08/13

I hear what everyone is saying, honestly I do.  I just want to make sure I'm following my steps:  eating properly, slowing down, taking bites the right size, etc.  I have been on the go so much that I haven't been planning meals in advance the last few weeks.  I felt like I needed a moment to slow down and make sure that it's not something I am doing wrong.

Revision to DS from RNY on 7/8/13 - HW 493/SW 483/CW 383

Amy, Daredevil
Extraordinaire

on 8/31/13 12:06 pm, edited 8/31/13 12:19 pm - Los Angeles, CA
DS on 08/06/13

Tough love time:

You asked your surgeon for advice and you're choosing to ignore it. You came here and asked veterans for advice and you're choosing to ignore all of it. Both your surgeons and the vets on this board know more about this than you do. So why are you taking chances with your health? It's better to be safe than sorry. 

Just my two cents. Take care of yourself! :)

*DS with Dr. Ara Keshishian on 08/06/13* SW: 231 CW: 131 GW: 119 * Check out My YouTube Channel: AmysDSJourney *

* Gail R *
on 8/31/13 9:49 am - SF Bay Area, CA

Vomiting is abnormal with this surgery. I have vomited twice in the last 4 years and it was from eating too much, too quickly. It can happen but it is not a normal DS problem.

Good luck in getting this taken care of right away.

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164

dustycroy
on 8/31/13 1:26 pm
DS on 05/14/13

Second time posting .........   I also want to add that if you do have a stricture of some kind you might want to remember that since its not letting you eat properly, that it can get even smaller and suddenly not let your liquids go down either......Thats an emergency, please dont "wait and see" any longer......

enlightened HW 372 SW 350 CW 185 GW 150 Lost 187 so far....

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 717 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1024 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 343 views