Dying for a Cup

2ndChance2k13
on 8/11/13 8:30 am
DS on 07/08/13

Of Coffee...

Before surgery, I enjoyed a hot mocha from Starbucks or a cup of fresh brewed dark roast Folger's at home.  Now, when I try to drink the Folger's decaf, the taste is so watery and bland, I can't finish one cup.

Two questions:

1.  Has anyone tried the Click coffee or the Pantry Selections Cappucino from www.http://www.mybariatricpantry.com?  They seem to be protein coffee drinks that can be heated in the microwave.

2.  I see a lot of posts for Protein coffee.  What brands are you using?  How do you prepare it?

Revision to DS from RNY on 7/8/13 - HW 493/SW 483/CW 383

SHFT_2
on 8/11/13 8:48 am - Grand Rapids, MI

I feel your pain. Can we ever have caffeine again? This is something I'm not sure about... More than my morning coffee I miss pop. Any idea when we can have carbonated drinks?

DS completed on 7/29/13

HW 379 SW 354  CW 190

Down 189 pounds

MsBatt
on 8/11/13 10:21 pm

Caffeine is not evil. It's not even all that bad for you, and NOBODY wants me to go without it. NOBODY.

~~Sami~~ *.
on 8/12/13 12:38 pm - Jacksonville, FL

Honestly, usually carbonated beverages don't sit very well in a sleeve at first.  Over time, you probably can have sugar-free versions.

For 14 or so years, I've heard the no-carbonation stuff.... it will stretch your pouch (back in the RNY days) was the favorite refrain.  Yet, I've never, not once, seen any sort of research that substantiates that fact.  Not one piece of data.  I think, in general, it's preferred to get in water or protein rather than empty carbonated calories...but if you drink a soda from time to time when you're out, it's unlikely to kill you.  (Just my two cents.)

Lap-Band June 14, 2001. Dr. Rumbaut, Monterrey, Mexico.
Lap-Band removed after 7 years and converted to Sleeve Gastrectomy on July 7, 2008 by Dr. Roslin.  I've had three happy healthy Lap-Band babies.... and one VSG baby.  5 years out from revision to VSG.  Gained 55 pounds in past 5 months, now considering DS. :(

SHFT_2
on 8/13/13 10:03 am - Grand Rapids, MI

Thanks. I talked with some people who are years out at my support group and some treat themselves to a little pop on the weekends without problem. Others said they went so long without it they don't even want it anymore.

DS completed on 7/29/13

HW 379 SW 354  CW 190

Down 189 pounds

Irishnurse
on 8/11/13 9:24 am
DS on 04/17/13

I drink regular coffee. SOmetimes I get coffee with a shot of expresso, splenda and half and half from Starbucks. I also dothe protein coffees that are so popular on here. 

SW-340, CW-164, GW-150, 14 pounds to go...

teachmid
on 8/11/13 9:38 am - OKC, OK
I'm a coffee-holic!! It was a good 3-4 months after surgery before I could drink and enjoy it again

Protein coffee is something you make yourself. I lived on it for the first year.

Major mom (Gina) has it on her page. She does here's with vanilla.
Here's mine:

Make a slurry of 1/2 and 1/2 or cream and water plus 2 scoops chocolate protein powder. I add a packet of Splenda and a splash of SF chocolate syrup.
Add hot coffee to the slurry and stir. Top with whipped cream
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

2ndChance2k13
on 8/11/13 10:41 am
DS on 07/08/13

The "slurry" seems to be what I'm getting wrong.  Can you tell me who much 1/2 and 1/2 or cream with the scoops?  I can't seem to get the ratio right and, keep getting rewarded with clumps!  Soooo frustrating!

Revision to DS from RNY on 7/8/13 - HW 493/SW 483/CW 383

teachmid
on 8/11/13 10:59 am - OKC, OK
I don't measure. I pour in about a 1/3 c cream and a equal amount of water plus the powder. Shake . If its too thick add more water.

It will clump in you add it to hot coffee. Pour the coffee into the slurry. I generally heat it agai for about 15-20 seconds becuause I like it hot. Have to be careful, because if to gets too hot it will cook the protein and clump
     -Gail-

teachmid
on 8/11/13 11:03 am - OKC, OK
Search for Lorie's chocolate Carmel coffee. I used to drink it daily.

I think: blender bottle 3/4 full cold coffee (reg or decaf)
1 and 1/2 scoops chocolate protein powder (I use champion stack)
2 packets Splenda
Cream (I just poured)
Splash Starbuck's SF Carmel syrup

Shake. Yum
     -Gail-

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 717 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1024 views