Feeling a Little Disappointed...

2ndChance2k13
on 7/19/13 10:37 am
DS on 07/08/13

I am 11 days post op and today, I went to my first doctor's visit.  It has been a rough few days since coming home from the hospital... lots of pain, not eating or drinking enough but, somehow I had convinced myself that when I got on the scale today, I'd see significant weight loss and that wasn't the case.

My surgery was complicated, took over 6.5 hours.  Then, my parts didn't want to wake up... THEN, my iron or whatever levels plummeted. , super anemic still.  Bottom line was 5 days in the hospital.  During that time, I had tons of IV iron and other fluids, even gained 10 pounds.

Should I be disappointed?  Am I just being silly?  Is there a kick start or menu that I can follow to help?

I want to make progress!  I don't want to feel like I'm going through all this for nothing but, that's how I'm feeling right about now.

(SAD FACE)  

Revision to DS from RNY on 7/8/13 - HW 493/SW 483/CW 383

Irishnurse
on 7/19/13 10:45 am
DS on 04/17/13

THe majority either do not lose or gain directly out of surgery due to IV fluids. Give yourself time to pee it all out and have the swelling go down. Do not get discouraged. It will come off. TRUST ME...follow the rules and you will lose weight. 

Glad you are home. Rest, drink and revitalize. 

SW-340, CW-164, GW-150, 14 pounds to go...

larra
on 7/19/13 11:19 am - bay area, CA

Step away from the scale! Give your poor body time to heal and to release all the fluids you accumulated. There is no "kick start" diet for the DS, nor do you need one. Just keep your focus on protein, get in your fluids so you aren't dehydrated, and let your DS do its thing.

Chill! Relax! It's going to work.

Larra

woodkd
on 7/19/13 12:39 pm
DS on 06/19/13
I gained 10 lbs while in the hospital as well. It will come off quickly don't worry. You will probably feel so much better in a few days. Hang in there it gets better!!!!
SHFT_2
on 7/20/13 12:31 am - Grand Rapids, MI

Hang in there. If these people who have already gone through it say they had similar gains it must be normal. Thank you for sharing it will help me not get so discouraged when I most likely experience the same gain post op... only 9 days until I join you.

DS completed on 7/29/13

HW 379 SW 354  CW 190

Down 189 pounds

sonyamarie75
on 7/20/13 6:59 am - OH
RNY on 08/20/13 with

My experience with having surgery (the few that I've had) is that it takes my body about 2 weeks to reasorb get get rid of the additional fluid,. I agree with the others. Just hang in there :) Make your focus getting better and taking care of your body with its new plumbing :)

Big Hugs!

Sonya B, Toledo, Ohio- RNY  08/20/13  

1MoreChance
on 7/20/13 1:20 pm - AL
It's normal. Don't worry about it. You'll start seeing results soon!

Ronnie HW~205/SW~191/CW~119/GW~120-115

buffalobillsfan
on 7/21/13 11:44 pm - CA

i was HUMONGOUS when I got out of the hospital.  My ankles were huge and I was so bloated from air and fluids I could barely move.  It took a couple of weeks and then the weight loss really kicked in.  Relax.  Stress isn't good for healing.  Trust all of the people who have gone before you.  Your not any different than us.  More than likely you will have a moment down the road that you will actually worry about losing too much weight. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 721 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1027 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 344 views