Swimming

KellyJTn
on 7/16/13 4:06 pm - Oak Ridge, TN

My boyfriend and I went to the beach over the weekend and it was my first time since surgery (3 yrs out) that I've been in a deep pool swimming. Pre-op I could literally just float in deep water and not make much effort at all to swim. Now though I was totally surprised to see that I was sinking pretty quickly! It was almost like I couldn't swim at all. If I stopped kicking my arms and legs, I would sink like a rock. Has anyone else had this problem? It was very strange! 

~Kelly ~   
SW 364/CW 164/GW 150             

PattyL
on 7/16/13 5:22 pm

Fat floats well and bones don't!  I have noticed this too.  Also noticed the saggy ugly parts float to the top too...  Sigh!

SHFT_2
on 7/16/13 9:21 pm - Grand Rapids, MI

The PA at my surgeons office actually warned everyone of this because so many people called the office freaking out about it. I'd say its normal and will be interesting to see what its like when I get that far.

DS completed on 7/29/13

HW 379 SW 354  CW 190

Down 189 pounds

Nicolle
on 7/17/13 1:37 am

Yep. About a year after my surgery, I did a cannonball into a pool, holding one of my friend's hands. She sprang up, happily and I nearly drowned!!!

Losing that fat makes a huge difference--be careful!!!

On the other hand, NOW I see why people think swimming is such good exercise--you have to keep moving or drown! Before it was too easy for me, since I floated so well, with all of my fat!

Nicolle

I had the kick-butt duodenal switch (DS)!

HW: 344 lbs      CW: 150 lbs

Type 2 diabetes and sleep apnea GONE!

dustycroy
on 7/17/13 4:55 am
DS on 05/14/13

Interesting topic......  I always loved diving for objects when I was a child, and after I got heavy, it was just to hard to fight to get down there and get them, I kept floating back to the top...  lol  It was like there was a rope tied around me that wouldnt let me go down there.  It will be neat to be able to do that again.  Thanks for reminding me of something I am looking so forward to doing again......

enlightened HW 372 SW 350 CW 185 GW 150 Lost 187 so far....

2renee
on 7/17/13 8:40 am - Ottawa, Canada
DS on 08/28/12

Yep, right there with you.  I did a mini triathlon in May and really wasn't worried about the swim part as I have always swam like a fish but to my surprise, I needed to expend a lot more energy just to stay afloat now then a hundred pounds before. 

KellyJTn
on 7/18/13 5:36 am - Oak Ridge, TN

Well I am glad to hear that I am not the only one this has happened to. I got into the deep part of the pool from the ladder and when I let go, I started to sink. It scared me to death. I have always floated very easily with very little effort. I could even lay on my back in the water without any effort at all. I tried that in the shallow end and it took me forever just to try to get to the top of the water. It does make me a bit sad though because swimming is one of my favorite things to do, but wow at the effort it took just to keep myself from drowning. I did not enjoy it at all.

~Kelly ~   
SW 364/CW 164/GW 150             

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 434 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 881 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 2 replies · 295 views