Day 4 post op.... Lord, What did I get myself into?

2ndChance2k13
on 7/12/13 3:55 pm
DS on 07/08/13

So....my doctor came see me early this morning... Turns out that even after three rounds of iron, my anemia remained unchanged. So, finally, I was going to be released.  Hallelujah!

I arrived home this afternoon.  My body is black and blue with bruises.  I have zero appetite.  Today, I had 3 medicine cups of veg broth, 12 oz of water and a 4 oz cup of Greek yogurt.  I am not interested in eating or drinking.... Feel nauseous... Took my liquid Lortab and almost threw it up.  Tomorrow I go to full liquid diet.  I know it's important to eat and drink but, I am baffled about how to do it.

Who knew it took so many stomach muscles just to get up or get on and off the potty?  Good Lord.  I tried to lay in my bed and was almost in tears.... Not a good idea.  Now, I have been sitting in a theater seat recliner.  Looks like this is my bed for the nite.

Any suggestions you guys have for getting thru this limbo stage would be greatly appreciated.

Irishnurse
on 7/12/13 4:54 pm
DS on 04/17/13

Water is the most important thing right now...and then protein shakes. I slept in a recliner for the first month. 

SW-340, CW-164, GW-150, 14 pounds to go...

airbender
on 7/12/13 9:56 pm

congrats...it sounds like you are doing great!!!  bruising and no appetite are normal.  what you consumed it ok.  your post op will be different depending on your experience.  I have had 6 abdominal surgeries, so even though i was a revision to the DS it was easy....well relative to what i was used to .  my expectations were obviously different than yours. 

this is what i can tell you....it will get better, for the first days keep a room temp water bottle with you at all times, sip, sip, don't gulp if you are nauseated.  take a sip every 5-10 minutes.  forget about taking any vitamins, chewable or others.  that will come later.  stay away from yogurt unless it is the unflavored, since the others have a lot of sugar (usually about 20g) try to get in fluids first, any way you can (not fruit juices since the sugar will kill your new configuration) broths, water, crystal lite, etc....room temp or warmer will help you too.  try to get in as much as you can to not get dehydrated....get through a day at a time, try to add more liquids, if you have diarrhea and not drinking then you may need to go to the er for rehydration via IV..,,,,

you will get through it.....you will look back on this as a small price to pay....one day at a time

divamc
on 7/12/13 10:15 pm - Riverview, FL

Just take it day by day. Sip, sip, sip and try to walk as much as possible. You are actually eating more than I did at 4 days out. It gets better. Hang in there.

meq815
on 7/12/13 11:54 pm - PA

My thought exactly- "what the hell have I done to myself?!"- but mine didn't hit til about day 10.  It is so overwhelming and I was so unprepared.  Thank God I found this board.

As previously mentioned, I really wouldn't worry about the yogurt or vitamins.....jus****er water water, constantly sipping.  The last thing you want is to be back in the hospital for dehydration.  I know it's hard to believe right now, but your appetite will return.  Mine is just starting to, at 10 weeks.  And walk- that helps with so many issues- even if it's once around the dining room table every hour.  You gotta move.

Keep up the great work!  I thought those first couple weeks would be the death of me, but look!  They weren't!  And neither will they be for you!

southernlady5464
on 7/13/13 12:10 am

Right now it's more important to stay hydrated...you can do a week easily no food but liquids are critical...and if that and broth are all you can handle right now, go for it. Don''t worry about even soft foods such as yogurt for now. Heck even protein shakes can wait a week.

And welcome to the Dark Side...the DS Welcome Semi just ran over you, backed up, and hit you again. It WILL get better.

Sip, rest, walk, repeat!

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

LadyLucky
on 7/13/13 3:26 pm - KS
The pain is awful! I'm almost 4 weeks out and it's finally down to one area. Sip on that Lortab too. It's disgusting but don't let the pain get out of control. That's when you cry (which hurts), get upset and just want to sit there not moving an inch. Then you're focused on the pain and not sipping and walking. And the absolute worst pain comes when you have to get on and off the toilet. I think it's lower than most chairs so that makes our tummy muscles work even more. When you get up, focus on using your leg muscles. When I started to really focus on that I was able to do it with a little less pain each time. "Lift with your legs." Ha!

I still sleep propped up (almost sitting up) on three pillows. Your theater recliner actually sounds wonderful! If you can put a small pillow on each of your sides (kind of tucked under your side a little), it feels better (more supportive) to rest your arms on them while you sleep. Just surround yourself with fluffy pillows and blankets and get your rest. And remember, fresh linens, pajamas and a shower can really make you feel good. Don't just lay/sit there the whole time. A nice warm shower will wear you out but it also counts as exercise, just like the walking.

Oh, and I got a stomach binder (bought on Amazon) too. When I walked at first it felt like my insides were going to fall out. The binder helped hold things in/up. If you get one, make sure you put it on kinda low (the bottom under the belly). Early out I had to put two together because I was so swollen that one wouldn't fit.

As for eating, don't worry about it yet. I didn't actually eat anything for more than a week. Broth and water are all you need to keep you hydrated.

Okay, this post is way longer than I intended. I know right now you probably feel like you were hit by a bus, but you should start to feel better soon. I promise! If all goes as planned.....next you'll be focusing on what soft foods you can tolerate, then you'll move on to the standard concerns with the diarrhea, then taking your vitamins, then which protein shakes you can tolerate, then a little stall on the weight loss, then you'll start feeling normal again. It all happens to all of us (sometimes in a different order). So hang in there and keep posting here for support. You are doing just fine!
meq815
on 7/13/13 11:44 pm - PA

All good stuff, LadyLucky, and not too long at all!  I know at that stage I was so eager for all the info I could get.

I must say, though, I chuckled at the part about looking forward to the diarrhea...heehee....I know that's not how you meant it, but that's how I read it wink

2ndChance2k13
on 7/14/13 4:33 pm
DS on 07/08/13

Thank you so much for this post.  It is extremely helpful and, I will heed your advice.

sonyamarie75
on 7/14/13 7:11 am - OH
RNY on 08/20/13 with

Hang in there!! You can do this!

First, congratulations on being discharged home! 

I'm not a vet, but try some crushed ice to suck on, SF popsicles, etc. Sometimes those goes down easier in tiny bits, especially when you are nauseated. Having to wait for the ice to melt, slows down the rate that its going on. Also, having had issues with nausea in the past, not related to the DS, I hear people swear by adding things that are tart to their beverages. A slice of lemon, the lemon cyrstal light. I used to do lemon lime gatoraid, but you'd probably want something with no sugar. 

It's the middle of the summer and you just had major surgery. Just try to get down as many liquids as you can tolerate so you don't dehydrate. Think of that, and getting a few walks in as your only job right now. People feel nauseated when they are dehydrated too, so its a vicious circle. 

So sorry its so rough... Thinking of you and sending prayers. 

Sonya B, Toledo, Ohio- RNY  08/20/13  

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 717 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1024 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 343 views