C.diff

gayleann
on 6/5/13 9:57 am - Henderson, NV

I was diagnosed with c.diffficile recently. The doctor put me on the generic for the antibiotic Flagyl. I was fine with it until the third day when I suddenly felt a severe burning all over my body. I was told I had an allergic reaction to the med and to stop taking it. It took almost two days for the burning to go away. I was then prescribed Vancomycin which costs the earth. I took one pill and one hour and twenty minutes later the burning was back. Is this some type of problem because of the DS or do you think that I am truly allergic to both meds? I am getting really apprehensive and starting to wonder what is going on.

MajorMom
on 6/5/13 6:57 pm - VA

It really does sound like reactions to the drugs. Not a DS thing.  : (

What are they saying they will try next?

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

gayleann
on 6/6/13 6:01 am - Henderson, NV

Gina,

The gastroenterologist who diagnosed the C. diff has only had to use Flagyl for his patients.  I emailed an expert in C.diff, a Dr. Robert Orenstein.  He said nitazoxanide, rifaximin, and fidaxomicin are other alternatives, although they cost a lot.  I went to an allergy doctor today who said he didn't think what I had was an allergic reaction because there were no hives, no rash, no shortness of breath.  It was probably that I was sensitive to one of the side effects of the drugs.  He also said that the two drugs I had the reaction to were so different that it was unlikely that I would have the same bad reaction to both.  He thought maybe my reaction to the first drug coincidentally flared up again after I took the first dose of the second drug.  All I know is that I am totally scared and confused now.  I am going to see what I can find out in the next couple of weeks.  Thanks for listening.   

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 723 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1027 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 344 views