Why Do I Feel Hungry?

Corbin Y.
on 5/11/13 6:11 am - New York, NY
DS on 03/26/13

I am six weeks out since surgery, had to have my laproscopic DS redone as an open DS because of complications.  This has made recovery a little slower, and I am starting now to be able to resume normal activities.  I came back home with incredible gas pains and bloating.  My NUT helped me figure out that was due to sensitivity to artificial sweeteners.  Once I took those away, things seemed to get normal, and I've lost 35 pounds since surgery.  I've also now eliminated nuts, as they were causing psoriasis inflammation.  I have only had mashed potatoes once in the past six weeks, and have otherwise avoided carbs and bad sugars.  I tend to eat protein, protein, protein, and sometimes fruit (I like to put a banana in my protein shakes).  I've been very good about getting over 100 g of protein daily, and the water intake is around 64 oz. if I include protein shakes.

My problem is that I am always feeling hungry in the tummy - I thought those ghrelin related feelings were supposed to go away with the surgery.  I am finding myself always hungry.  Also surprising for me, I can eat more than I thought I can/should.  My NUT had told me to eat when I feel hungry, and eat until I feel full.  Today for lunch, I had 4 beef satay sticks, and was able to have 16 oz. of chicken vegetable soup (from a chinese restaurant - chicken, clear broth, carrots, mushrooms, and baby bok choy****il I felt satisfied.  I thought we were only supposed to be able to eat 2-4 oz of food at a time.  I seem to be able to eat more than that.   My channel is at 125 cm., if that helps. Is this something serious I need to mention to my NUT and/or surgeon? Any advice out there?

jzwife
on 5/11/13 9:39 am
Hi Corbin,
I am 8 weeks out so several weeks ahead of you. I am new at this game too! Some days I can eat more than other days. I can eat anywhere from 2oz to 4 oz at a time BUT if there is liquid involved I can down a little more. I've heard that's because the liquid can run thru the pyloric valve whereas the protein is very dense and stays in the pouch. What type of protein are you eating? If I drink a protein drink it doesn't stay nearly as long with me verses eating a small bit of tuna or solid protein. And I am hungry several hours later. I try to eat whenever I feel hungry and that can be anywhere from once every couple of hours to every 4 hours. I am all over the map- sorry.
You have done awesome on your weight loss. I am down 29 1/2lbs. since surgery which is ok. I am a revision so I didn't expect it to fall off so I am happy with that!
Good luck- you will figure it all out. Obviously your doing something right because its working very well for you!
Sharon
Corbin Y.
on 5/11/13 11:37 am - New York, NY
DS on 03/26/13

Thanks for the encouragement!  You are doing great, too! 

MsBatt
on 5/11/13 10:10 am

I get hungry every 3 hours or so, and have since my DS 9.5 years ago. If you're feeling constant hunger, it *may* be stomach acid. Do you take a PPI? If not, maybe you should. My surgeon put all his patients on them for 2 months post-op.

Corbin Y.
on 5/11/13 3:10 pm - New York, NY
DS on 03/26/13

Yes, I take Nexium daily.  Glad to hear from you as a DSer 9.5 years out - gives us newbies encouragement to see you are doing well!

Herman
on 5/12/13 3:01 am

You may need the Mexium more often then once a day or a different kind. Also make sure you take it in the am about 1 hour before you eat anything.

You being so new from the surgery I would bet it is the stomach acid that is making you fell like that.

Or you are having "head hunger" ?

Also for some time after surgery you may not know if you are full or not, after all the nerves have been cut and it will take a while before you get more normal signals.

Lap-band 2007
 DS 2009
Corbin Y.
on 5/12/13 2:28 pm - New York, NY
DS on 03/26/13

Good idea - I will talk it over with my doctor and NUT this week.  The grumbling is from the tummy, so it is possible it is really stomach acid.  Thanks!

dustycroy
on 5/11/13 11:04 am
DS on 05/14/13

Do you know what size bougie he used to make your sleeve?  Just curious....

enlightened HW 372 SW 350 CW 185 GW 150 Lost 187 so far....

Corbin Y.
on 5/11/13 11:32 am - New York, NY
DS on 03/26/13

Not sure - will check with him when I see him for my 6 week this coming week.  I do remember him saying he was going to make things as least restrictive as possible.

dustycroy
on 5/11/13 1:16 pm
DS on 05/14/13

It will be interesting to find out......

enlightened HW 372 SW 350 CW 185 GW 150 Lost 187 so far....

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 717 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1024 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 343 views