Difficulty With Splenda

Corbin Y.
on 2/28/13 11:13 am - New York, NY
DS on 03/26/13

I'm scheduled to have a Gastric Sleeve with DS on March 26th.  With all my prepping, I am going crazy with all the supplements out there with Splenda.  Almost everything I find out there is made with it!  Right now, Splenda seems to give me bloating, constipation, blood in the stool, and severe hemorrhoids.  Does anyone else out there have problems with Splenda, either pre-op or post-op? Anyone out there that had problems pre-op, and did that change post-op? I don't seem to have any problems with other sweeteners.

Also, any suggestions out there for supplements/bars/protein powders that do not load up on the sucralose?  So far, I've found the JROB (made with Stevia) and Syntrax Nectar (made with other stuff).  The only bar I've found so far was a GNU fiber bar - great fiber and low in sugar, but also low in protein.

(deactivated member)
on 2/28/13 12:17 pm, edited 2/28/13 12:27 pm

Just stay away from Aspartame...bad for you...

I never had any problems with splenda. I would google it though to see if anyone else has reported these types of reactions to splenda. 

The very first thing listed during a google search stated this..

Recently studies in rats have shown Splenda causes a disturbance in intestinal flora. The way I understand this is: Our bodies can't process all of Splenda's ingredients  in the stomach so "bad bacteria" has to come about the eat the Splenda not processed. In my case, I was using so much Splenda that the "bad bacteria" took over and started eating at my intestines too. I have developed a disease that comes about in your 20's (but I'm 47) called Ulcerative Colitis. That means I have intestinal bleeding, stomach issues and bowel issues. Sometimes I hemorrhage for weeks and become anemic. I have all the symptoms that go with anemia on top of being very sick. I can not work. I take $60,000 a year in drugs that make little difference.
I continued using Splenda because my doctor said it had nothing to do with my issues. In August I was feeling the best I had in 2 years. I came home from vacation and started drinking a gallon of tea a day (to lose weight gained from Prednizone) that I mix with about a cup of Splenda, and the bleeding came back.
I am now getting educated, taking Probiotics and eating the SCD diet (from: Breaking The Vicious Cycle). After 2 weeks of making my own yogurt and eating unprocessed foods, I'm starting to see an improvement. They say I'll be on drugs forever though.
Does anyone else have long term symptoms or problems?

wings
on 3/1/13 9:06 am - Fort Myers Beach , FL

I do aspertame because splenda and I can't get along.  I love my Equal but really wish I could do splenda because there are more things with splenda. 

But everything is bad for you.  I just give up and do what I want.  Life is too short. 

Carla

P.S.  I tryed Stevia but I did not like the bitter after taste.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w6HR7lf/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/w6HR7lf/weight.png[/img]
[/url]
jzwife
on 2/28/13 3:18 pm

I can't do Splenda either- it gives me terrible headaches and makes my joints hurt as does Aspartame. I have several protein supplements that have natural sweeteners in them that don't bother me.

They are- www.hcgslimxpress.com - love the chocolate- they use this a lot with the HCG plan - it has natural sweeteners in it but still very low in sugar grams

Primal Fuel-1888-774-6259- you can google it.

jay Robb and Unjury. I just ordered a natural all organic one with nothing in it- no sugar or flavorings- I don't have the info in front of me but would be happy to give it to you if you are interested. ihave heard if you are sensitive to it now it will only get worse after surgery. Don't know if that is a fact or not- just what I heard.

Good luck !

Sharon.

Corbin Y.
on 3/1/13 1:18 am - New York, NY
DS on 03/26/13

The slimxpress bars have sucralose, which is Splenda.  Amazing how they sneak that in to so many foods!  Thanks for the suggestions of Unjury and the JRob - so far, JRob has been a good protein powder for me!

jzwife
on 3/1/13 8:18 am

I apologize- when I said supplements i meant protein drinks not bars.I don't really do bars but I will keep a look out for you tho.

Sharon

fullhousemom
on 2/28/13 10:26 pm
Premier protein bars. 30 grams of protein per bar. I get them in boxes at Sams Club. No sugar alcohols.

These became my faithful friend early out when all else failed. I have one every morning. If I am short on protein for the day, I have one before bed.

Corbin Y.
on 3/1/13 1:13 am - New York, NY
DS on 03/26/13

Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately, one of the ingredients in that bar is Sucralose, in other words, Splenda.

southernlady5464
on 3/1/13 4:15 am

Gonna be hard for you to find. Most of what is out there is made with either equal or splenda. Finding it with regular sugar or stevia (which *I* can not tolerate myself) is gonna be very hard.

Have you considered making your own protein bars? I've seen a recipe around here somewhere (here on OH or one of the other places I go for surgery support) and I've never been one to do that myself as I just do not do protein bars (too many carbs for me).

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

MsBatt
on 3/1/13 5:22 am

I'm scheduled to have a Gastric Sleeve with DS on March 26th.

Just call it a DS, okay? (*grin*)

By 'supplements', I assume you're talking about protein shakes? I *think* you can buy unflavored protein powder, that's just...protein. You mix it into whatever you can tolerate it in.

BUT---you do not HAVE to ever use protein powder, IF you can manage to EAT enough protein-rich real food. I'm old-school---I had my DS over 9 years ago, and I've had ONE protein shake. EVER. Back when I was getting ready for surgery, back when dinosaurs roamed the Earth, most surgeons went by the 30-60-90 rule. They wanted their patients to get in 30 grams of protein a day by Day 30, 60 grams by Day 60, etc. Not really very hard to do. My surgeon's goal was for me to be eating a minimum of 1500 calories a day by 6 months out, with at least 100 grams of protein. Easy-peasy!

That said---I use Splenda all day, every day. I drink about a GALLON of iced tea sweetened with Splenda every day. Splenda is the ONLY artificial sweetener I routinely consume---sugar alcohols are the debil. (*grin*) The more I learn about sugar alcohols, the more I stay away from them. (I also stay FAR away from anything made artificially low- or no-fat.)

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 717 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1024 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 343 views