No carb bread/buns

beemerbeeper
on 2/12/13 10:22 am - AL

http://www.food.com/recipe/carb-free-cloud-bread-411501

I used cream cheese and slathered them with butter, splenda and cinnamon right out of the oven.  Wow.  Last time I tried I didn't whip the whites and cream of tartar long enough with my little hand mixer.  This time I spent a lot more time but wish I had a "real" mixer.  I can't believe I've been missing out on this for 3+ years.

~Becky

MsBatt
on 2/12/13 12:18 pm

What kind of hand mixer do you have? You can  buy a perfectly adequate hand mixer at Wal-Mart for around ten bucks. (And trust me, I do a LOT of cooking!)

beemerbeeper
on 2/13/13 4:25 am - AL

That is what I have but it is old.  On high it took about 10 minutes to whip the egg whites.  I will probably burn out the motor because you know I am making these again.  lol.

~Becky

LadyLucky
on 2/12/13 12:46 pm - KS

I am absolutely going to try these!  I'm curious how many grams of protein are in egg whites.  Gonna check that out too.  Thanks for sharing!

beemerbeeper
on 2/13/13 4:24 am - AL

You use the whole egg.  Isn't one egg about 7?  I did not put them in baggies and wait overnight.  I ate the whole lot of them as soon as they came out of the oven.  DELICIOUS with butter and MORE delicious with butter splenda and cinnamon.

~Becky

LadyLucky
on 2/12/13 12:57 pm - KS

Here's the nutrition breakdown according to that recipe with a yield of 10 pieces:

cals: 38kcal
fat: 3.01g 
carbs: 0.37g 
prot: 2.22g

Maybe use it like bread and toss on a cooked egg and sausage patty for more protein.  Now I'm hungry.

beemerbeeper
on 2/13/13 4:26 am - AL

Multiply by 10 because I ate all of them!!  3.7 carbs and 22.2 g of protein. 

~Becky

b1751
on 2/12/13 6:18 pm

I tried these before surgery and was pretty impressed for a bread substitute.  I used 2 of them as the bun for a cheeseburger.  They just lack that "chew" that bread has.

Lap DS with Dr. Kemmeter 12/17/12

HW: 274.5 -- SW: 266 -- GW: 130?

puppysweets1
on 2/13/13 4:56 am, edited 2/14/13 12:37 am - CA

Picture on the link looks like the cream cheese pancakes my GF makes for me so I sent her the link.
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/539580_140489872783325_616065371_n.jpg
She commented that this basically IS the cream cheese pancake recipe, other than the cream of tartar which she says is a common ingredient of meringue used to decrease "weeping".  A few weeks ago she started experimenting with the cream cheese pancake recipe by separating the eggs and beating the egg whites into a stiff meringue and then folding them back into the creamed egg yolk/cream cheese (or ricotta or cottage), with optional bit of sweetener, vanilla extract, cinnamon.  She spoons puddles of these onto parchment papered cookie sheet then bakes in mod temp oven until nicely brown.  Her method doesn't change the taste of the cream cheese pancake, only the texture.  GF says the cream cheese pancakes made this way are Dream cheese pancakes.  LOL 

Dream Cheese Pancakes takes longer to make but are much fluffier, thicker but lighter - more like meringue.  Very good with butter and syrup.  Suppose they would work for holding sandwich stuffings as well.  Hmmm... wonder if she could add cheddar cheese to these like she did the Mr Peanut and Mr Hemp bread? 

beemerbeeper
on 2/13/13 5:49 am - AL

Good to know.  Mine were much thinner.  I may try some syrup on one but I use syrup on my "french toast" so I really don't need another syrup type food.  I liked them just with butter tho.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 681 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1005 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 338 views