Week1 post op questions.

mharroun
on 11/9/12 2:31 am - Forest Hills, NY
DS on 11/06/12

I had surgery tuesday and was released Thursday(yesterday) ... I know my diet requirements but I have some questions bout activity post op.

- Is it normal to want to sleep alot?

- Should i try to walk as much as possible, moving around the apartment still hurts and drains me... minor activity still leaves me a little winded and minor sweating.

- Can i have  coffee? With or without cafieen? I keep geting mixed info from the different doctors and nutritionists... so i figure the best place to ask is here.

Thanks in advance.

Jaiart
on 11/9/12 3:00 am - MI
What did your doctor say? Mine stressed as much movement as tolerable.

puppysweets1
on 11/9/12 3:13 am - CA

Wanting to sleep is normal. Pain medicines can make you drowsy.

Walking as much as possible is EXTREMELY important.  Take repeated walks and work on walking longer each time. If still at the hospital you could walk laps in the hospital hallway and add more laps to make your walks longer as the day progressed.  Transfer this activity to your home environment as best you can.

Did your surgeon tell you to avoid coffee at all costs?  Or to avoid caffeine?  If so, avoid them.  If not, indulge.  If you are confused, call your surgeon's office and ask. 

determineddanni
on 11/9/12 3:19 am

1) of course you want to sleep you just had major surgery! lol

2) you should be up an about on regular walks. this helps with the bloating and it just good for your body to get working again

3) most surgeons say no because coffee is very acidic (not good on an already upset tummy) and is a natural diuretic (not good when your poo is already liquid lol). some surgeons say you can. i didn't have any coffee till i got my acid under control. i would say 3 months out i finally got me some coffee:) and now i have protein coffee every morning.

i am not a doc but thats what i have learned:) good luck

HW 259          SW 256          CW 141       GW 150

mharroun
on 11/10/12 4:39 am, edited 11/10/12 4:39 am - Forest Hills, NY
DS on 11/06/12

Thanks for the info everyone.

Been walking around my apartment complex a bit till the my abdomen starts to hurt to much... fortunately my stomach hasn't been upset at all and my energy hasn't been that bad.

Might try a small cup of coffee tonight to test my stomach since nothing as of yet has done anything more then give me mild discomfort from gas.

2renee
on 11/10/12 8:23 am - Ottawa, Canada
DS on 08/28/12

Sleep when you need to.  Walk as much as you can tolerate and avoid coffee for three weeks as it can irritate the stomach.  Those were my surgeon's orders.

Hang in there.  It gets better

Renee

Valerie G.
on 11/11/12 12:16 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Many try to discount the extremity of what was done to you.  For heaven's sake you were just taken apart and put back together again like humpty dumpty.  I was extremely listless for about a month, so don't worry.  A trip to the bathroom is a tiring walk right now.  Just try to push yourself a little further each day.  Caffeine slows the healing process, so decaf coffee would be your best bet, and also counts as fluids.  Drink all of the decaf that you want.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 979 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1170 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 441 views