I have been feeling horrible all wek and I am so nauseous all the time and cannot eat anything.

seananc
on 8/16/12 7:23 am - Fernandina Beach, FL
DS on 07/23/12
Why am i feeling this way all of a sudden??? I cannot stand the smell or tatste of anything that is sweet. i can only tolerate water. I take the anti-nausea medication and it is temporary. My protein powder all of a sudden makes vomit!  I have been taking this stuff for 7 months and now it makes me sick.  I try to get up out of bed and walk around everyday  I go outside and sit for a little while and then come back in.  I am so tired not being able to eat anything.  I am on full liquids and cannot eat anything.  Please someone give some solutions that i do to help with this nausea and fatigue.  I am not taking the protein powder because i throw it back up.  like i stated earlier, anything that is sweet makes me sick.  Please help.
SA
larra
on 8/16/12 7:33 am - bay area, CA
Sean, the first and by far the most important advice I can offer is CALL YOUR SURGEON!  He might want to check you over, or he might want to prescribe different anti-nausea medication for you, or maybe you need a PPI (proton pump inhibitor) like prilosec. No matter how much people here in the internet world care about you, we can't evaluate you for why this is happening.

What I can say is that a lot of people have nausea and/or fatigue post-op. This is major surgery with profound metabolic changes, and you also lost a lot of weight pre-op, so you might have gone into your surgery somewhat weakened. I would say don't use the protein powder if it makes you throw up because it clearly isn't helping you, and that your body should have adequate protein stores to get you through a few weeks, so focus on fluids, whatever ones you CAN tolerate. Simple things, like chicken broth, egg drop soup, water of course, crystal light if it isn't too sweet for you (you can water it down), sugar free popsicles, that sort of thing.

And CALL YOUR SURGEON!!

Larra
RPick67
on 8/16/12 9:47 am
VSG on 06/11/13
Just wanted to say I hope you start feeling better.  Like the poster before said, call your doctor.  They can give you more or different meds for the nausea.  Don't delay in giving them a call.  Being nauseaus all the time is no fun.  Take Care.

Cons. Wt. 394       Surg. Wt. 386        Curr. Wt.  311

Jessyw
on 8/16/12 12:06 pm - polarbears&igloos, AK
This is common, the tastes buds change, our bodies don't handle things like they use to and so on. With me I could no longer stand water, the only thing that tasted good to me was tea. 
But anti-nesua meds will help put your mind at ease. You are still healing, and it can be rough. Hang in there and foucs on staying hydrated and rest.

-Jessyw
      Hello, my name is Jessica  I'm 20 and I got my DS!! check out my page. 

I love my DS!!!!   sw(535)/cw(220)/goal (?)
  Wanna learn about the DS? Come to the DS forum or check out these websites:
                  http://www.dsfacts.com/ OR http://www.duodenalswitch.com/
route66hello
on 8/16/12 1:29 pm - Half Moon Bay, CA
DS on 03/15/12
Please do call your doctor as well.... Much support, Terri

bugirll
on 8/16/12 4:50 pm - MD
DS on 03/19/12
How much fluid are you getting in a day...could be dehydration.
DS with Toon Sonneville 3/19/12
jennyrenny
on 8/16/12 5:55 pm - Canada
DS on 08/11/12
 Sorry to hear you are feeling so lousy!

I agree with the rest that you need to talk to you doc, but in the meantime there are some proteins that you can get that aren't sweet. If you go to Nashua Nutrition's website and look under hot soups there is a whole pile of stuff to choose from.  Try this link. I'm not sure how fast you can get things shipped. Takes a cople of weeks from Canada, but probably much quicker for you.

http://www.nashuanutrition.com/store/hot-soups/

Good luck. Hope to hear you are on the mend soon.

Jenny

HW: 365, SW (August 11, 2012): 351

J G.
on 8/16/12 10:29 pm
Sean, don't hesitate to call your surgeon.  That's why we pay them the big bucks.  It might be something as simple as changing your anti-nausea meds, but you've got to tell your surgeon about the problems you are having. 

Drink as much water as possible.  (Try ginger tea.)

To make egg drop soup, buy a can or box of low sodium chicken broth, bring it to a simmer in pot on the stove.  Whip an egg with a fork in a separate bowl and  pour it into the broth very slowly in a thin stream.  Hope you feel better soon.  ;o)
Valerie G.
on 8/17/12 6:43 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 My guess is dehydration.  It causes fatigue and nausea, which makes it less favorable to drink anything.  You may need an IV to get you feeling better.  Call the doc.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

larra
on 8/18/12 7:48 am - bay area, CA
Seananc, we haven't heard from you since your post. Please let us know how you are doing. I hope you're ok.

Larra
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1039 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1194 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 491 views