MY PCP claims DS will be discontinued . .?

zuzupetals2u2
on 5/29/12 11:18 am - Sedona, AZ
 I am almost sure she is wrong and I don't recall the exact source she quoted but it was some Bariatric authority,she claims. She said they will no longer perform it due to too many complications & morbidities.  I told her I doubted that was true unless it was actually from noncompliance which was more because of lack of proper aftercare education with supplements & labs, etc.

She perhaps is beginning to resent my continued requests for more labs than she feels are necessary or my request to be referred to a hemotologist which she claims isnt necessary.

She did tho want to refer me to a bariatric place in Flagstaff that performs the RNY (I hear of one DS'er on here tho that did it up there) for my follow up. Maybe I should .  .

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

CriscoNinja
on 5/29/12 12:05 pm
DS on 06/05/12
 Maybe she means just the BPD with the horizontal hacking of the stomach?  I'm pretty sure the BPD/DS will be here to stay since it has such excellent long term results, and many people revise to it from RNY's, Sleeves and bands.  I've run into the problem of my PCP's and such mistaking the DS with the older BPD (w/the horizontal hacking).  Once I explained the difference they were much happier. 

I'm sure the surgeons who do not perform it would rather the DS disappear since they don't perform it. 
Well I used to have a link here, but you know how that goes...
Sandra C.
on 5/29/12 8:54 pm - Kalamazoo, MI
 This week my surgeon told me more doctors will be doing the D.S. soon. It is the premier bariatric surgery of  them all for most weight loss, and least chance of regain, eliminates diabetes and many more comorbidities. Your PCP doesnt have the most up to date info, or doesnt know how to treat you, as most dont know the fine points of the D.S. I am changing my PCP to one my surgeon refers many of his D.S.ers to. My surgeon has been able to instruct this PCP on care issues for these patients. He has a group of doctors in many categories he is working with to insure his D.Sers have continuity of medical care beyond bariatrics.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Duodenal Switch- lap
Dr. Paul. Kemmeter Grand Rapids, Mi.
Dr. John  Renucci, Plastics, Body contouring,Grand Rapids, Mi.
Start 255/ Surgery wt 235/ Current wt. 117

BMI-20, 135 lbs lost, 5'3"

Julie R.
on 5/29/12 9:22 pm - Ludington, MI
Your PCP is full of ****   I had an endocrinologist, from U of M Hospital, who specializes in post bariatric deficiencies tell me, "Yeah, they don't perform the DS much anymore...."     I told him he was full of **** too.
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

beemerbeeper
on 5/30/12 2:40 am - AL
I call bull**** Get a new Pcp.

(deactivated member)
on 5/30/12 2:44 am
time to move on.  PCPs are everywhere - find a good one.
Valerie G.
on 5/30/12 10:30 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
I'll bet she's thinking of the old Scarpinaro BPD - which is indeee dangerious.  The DS is an improvement of that procedure and yeilding great results.  Find a doc on dsfacts.com.  I don't recall if there are any in AZ, however it's worth the trip.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 718 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1025 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 343 views