Hmm, what's with all the conflicting advice?

merrymorris
on 5/6/12 10:22 am - philadelphia, PA
DS on 04/26/12
So, I have been active on the DS boards for awhile now and have come to realize that I am kind of confused as all get out. My Dietician and NP have told me to eat low carb low sugar low fat because it will make me sick. I hear people here all the time saying to eat a whole stick a butter . Then, for my food plan I'm still in stage three-pureed foods but some people are saying you should be eating chicken legs at two weeks out. I am sooo confused. Obviously, I WANT more choices and to believe that I should be eating more fatty stuff but what about what the professionals say? Can someone shed light?
beemerbeeper
on 5/6/12 10:39 am - AL
Go back and read more on this forum.  Your question has been asked and answered every week for the 3 years I've been posting here.

We recommend you follow your surgeon's progression of foods after surgery.

AFTER you are cleared to eat "normal" food you already know what we DSers recommend.

~Becky

merrymorris
on 5/6/12 8:54 pm - philadelphia, PA
DS on 04/26/12
 Oh, actually I feel like I haven't seen this question in the forums which is why I asked it. And ive been on everyday for at least 6 months.I didn't mean to annoy you. :)
MajorMom
on 5/6/12 10:59 am - VA
I think the medical community is bound by the American Dietetics Association to preach low fat and most of them believe it. Low fat is not a bad idea early out but as you progress you might find that adding a little fat to your diet might help with constipation. You may have the opposite reaction and need to stay lower fat...everyone has a little bit different experience. That may be why you see so much conflicting information. Follow your plan until your system evens out after healing. Low carb is a great way to get the weight off and may help your system maintain some balance in the long run.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

JazzyOne9254
on 5/6/12 12:32 pm
 They're giving you RNY eating advice. While your surgery is healing you should
be doing full liquids (cream soups) and pureed until your're cleared for solids.

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

mrsannie
on 5/6/12 10:08 pm
Calories and fat no longer matter to you!  :)

You can eat all food you'd like as long as you eat high protein and low carb.  It sounds like you were given RNY advice which is unfortunately what you usually will get from people who truly don't understand the DS.  Before my surgery I had to visit a dietitian who gave me printed sheets on how to eat after Gastric Bypass.  I told her I was having a DS and she "same thing"!  Well its not!

Fat is OK, however in the beginning too much may bother you, later on you will be more tolerant.  I eat bacon, cheese, whatever daily and I have maintained.  Eating fat is important since you don't metabolize it the same way anymore, your body will need it for your hair, skin, etc.  Eating chicken is great.  Its a great source of protein, but now you don't have to skip the skin!

Be careful of the fake sugar!  I find, and everyone is different, a little sugar is better for me than the fake stuff, it usually bothers my stomach, and I don't care for agave or stevia.  And since calories don't matter anymore, why not eat what I like.  As long as I don't go crazy, I'm OK.  I guess like with anything moderation is best.

Early out eat small portions and see what bothers you and what doesn't.  The gas can be really bothersome but you'll find your way.  Just take it slow.

Goo luck!

Nothing will change if you don't have the courage to change it!
      And stop calling me "Shirley!"    
Fade2Pink
on 5/7/12 1:37 am - Salt Lake City, UT
There is a lot of confusion about this, because the NUTs either are giving RNY advice, or are giving "normal" person advice.  So many of them don't understand the DS malabsorption of fats, there are many of us who HAVE to eat high fat, or we simply get consitpated.  Everyone is different though, and you'll have to kind of figure out your own bodies and what they can and cannot tolerate. 
Duodenal Switch 4/29/09
Loving my DS!!

merrymorris
on 5/7/12 5:39 am - philadelphia, PA
DS on 04/26/12
oooooh. thanks, guys!
mellysarah03
on 5/9/12 5:43 am - Fort Myers, FL
Hi. i know the question has already been answered. BUUUT heres my 2 cents. I am 3.5 years out from surgery. I was handed the same packet that most RNY patients are. I did NOT eat low fat/low calorie. I DID eat low carb(ish) during the weight loss. pre surgery my colesterol was over 200. Eatting full fat butter, steak, eggs, bacon, etc my cholesterol went down to 125. I maintain eating this was and have added carbs in moderation. My weight has not changed in well over a year.  I did gain while on vacation out of the coutry because the food was SOOO different and all carbs. I have just never bothered to take it off. If I feel fat (for example around my period) I cut carbs and drop a few lbs. One, side note though. MANY MANY people have problems with gas from simple carbs, like refined sugars and wheat, etc. I do occassionally get gassy if I over do it on the carbs. But its rare.

I used to make excuses why I cant Now I make reasons why I CAN!!
155LBS GONE FOREVER!! LIVING LIFE... I LOVE MY DS

mellysarah03
on 5/9/12 5:46 am - Fort Myers, FL
and yeah btw I did forget to mention to much fat didnt bother me, except a FEW times when I ate things that were FRIED. It wasnt the fat from the food as much as the oil that cause me trouble.

I used to make excuses why I cant Now I make reasons why I CAN!!
155LBS GONE FOREVER!! LIVING LIFE... I LOVE MY DS

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 833 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1091 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 365 views