Weight Gain

Beckyann
on 3/23/12 3:01 pm - Tacoma, WA
Okay, I got my vitamins back on track and doing great with them.  No major probs. 

I was given a larger stomach and channel (more was left) than others because I was very small for a DS'er.  My stomach is probably a 9-10 oz size now.  

I started in low 190's.  But I am short...just over 5ft.  I had the DS because of comorbidities that I had when I was lighter and caused weight gain with medications to control the comorbids.

I have been so crazy hungry the last couple months.  I have also started the hormone change and last mens cycle was in January. 

Okay, now that vitamins are back on track, and you understand that my malabsorption is less, can you please give me an idea of what you did when you had weight creep?

I had thought of a short term diet to get the food back on track, now that vitamins are on track.

Any tips from other post DS gainers?  I need to take off about 15-18#'s.
MajorMom
on 3/23/12 9:37 pm - VA
Best advice I've seen from successful losers after some regain is low carb, high protein. Vitalady would say increase your protein shakes and fluids.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Sunshine16
on 3/24/12 12:20 am
I complete agree with Ginia.  I was at a stand still for awhile. Decided to reduce my carb intake and more protein.  For me the more protein I drink the less I want to eat.  That week I lost 6 pounds.  I love chicken, I love it with a passion,Especially the Peruvian Chicken...yum.

Find a protein that you really enjoy and have at it.

SW / CW / GW 292 / 188 / 174 - Height 5'7, Size 10

Amy W.
on 3/24/12 2:33 am - Buckeye, AZ
Same here! I recently posted about this topic and everyone said low-carb/high-protein. It worked! Just focus on chicken/beef/turkey!

5" 7' -  HW: 328 Current: I stay around 155 :) 
"...Because when you stop and look around, this life is pretty amazing."

Emily F.
on 3/24/12 2:51 am
I flip out when I gain 10 lbs. About a week of low carbing and pounding shake and it comes off. Hopefully it will stay like that.
Beckyann
on 3/24/12 3:07 am - Tacoma, WA
Thanks ladies.  I am starting today.  Decided to have one last yummy meal w carbs last night before I take this weight off.  Was 123 at beginning of last summer, which is good for me since I bodybuild since age of 14ish.  But as of this morning I was 143.  I will come here for support every few days.
PROTEIN, PROTEIN, PROTEIN.  But avoid too much fat....I do have to go to work during the week and can't be in bathroom all the time.  And avoid carbs.
I will start that today.  I knew all this but sometimes get off track.
AundreaSmith
on 3/24/12 12:36 pm - Caledonia, MI
DS on 03/12/12
Hang in there Beckyann!  The typical DSer's weight gain is because of added carb to their diets.  And I know it's easy to and delish to add those carbs (pasta, potatoes, etc) back into your meals, but just get in that protein and cut those carbs out and I am sure that those extra pounds will come off.

I've heard around the board that maintenance is a challenge, hang in there!  We are all here rooting for you! 

HW: 404/ SW: 380/  GW: 155

Beckyann
on 3/24/12 2:29 pm - Tacoma, WA
I think mine is due to mostly good carbs because I do eat potatoes and rice without the gastrointestinal problems.  I rarely eat white bread because of gas/diah.  Rarely drink milk for same reason.  Only eat RICE pasta or use spaghetti squash as the pasta.  I also eat CORN products (corn tortillas or corn chips for example) because these don't cause me problems as long as I don't overdo it.

In all seriousness, I do think the DS caused an early issue with perimenopause.  I HAD issues with night sweats and hot flashes since my surgery.  My doctor said I am to young for menopause.  I started on DHEA and this is helping too.  As many of us over 40 know, perimeno causes weight gain. 

So, for me, this is a combo issue.....too many carbs AND hormone changes.

But, again, I do think my increased rigidity with vitamins in addition to every other day 25 mg DHEA has helped.  After you have used the DHEA to diminish symptoms, you have to cut it back becuase too much DHEA can cause problems too.  I plan to decrease the DHEA to 5mg as my body needs.

DHEA is the precursor to body made hormones.  Since I started taking it, and improved my vitamin regimine, I do NOT have hot flashes and night sweats.  AND, my energy and mental fog has lifted.  I have my brain use back.  I need my brain for work.   I am being trained as a nursing home administrator, which is a high demand, high mental capacity position
Laurie D.
on 3/25/12 9:30 am - minden, NE
Beckyann.....oh how I totally understand your delima!!!!  I am going through the perimen as well (horrible hot flashes and night sweats unfortunately still am regular as clock work with my cycle!).  I had 2 surgies in 1 yr and that assisted with my weight gain as well, coudln't do what I wanted to when I wanted to, felt sorry for myself back to my bad eating habbits....and then payback was a ***** with HORRIBLE gas!

I am now almost 1 week carb free (well about 50-60 gr a day) and feel GREAT...tomorrow is weigh in so I don't now how successful I have been that way, BUT the good thing, my hubby doesn't have to wear a gas mask any more and I don't feel miserable any more.  BUT I am unlike you I can't do potatoes, any kind of regular or wheat flour or sugar.  All are triggers for severe gas.  :(  

I discoverd about a month a go the BEST snack!  BACON JERKY!  Get it at Wal mart and Menards and it is like to die for....ate a whole package today ZERO carbs and that yummy bacon flavor.  LOL :)  best snack ever.....and I found that I can do a sugar free chocolate pudding using 2 (or 3) scoops of protein powder mixed into the pudding mix and then mix in the mllk for those times when you just HAVE to have a sweet fix.  I also do a high carb cheese cake, in fact going to go and make some tonight for the week.  

Good luck and if you want to chat....PM me I'm around the puter most of the time  LOL ....take online classes..  :) 
SW 308/CW164/ GW 140

Beckyann
on 3/25/12 12:49 pm - Tacoma, WA
Hi yes, I do think weight gain is largely due to hormones.  But I don't want to discount improving habits.

I go to school online too....learning about my current position.  I have homework tonight so have to get back to work.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 978 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1169 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 439 views