Wanted RNY, now Leaning toward DS..Thoughts? Questions..

whatthehair
on 3/7/12 7:11 am - Kalamazoo, MI
Hi all! I'm Jessica, and I'm from Michigan. I JUST had a referral request sent from my PCP to WLS Surgeon. I've been researching different options of WLS for about 3 years. Maybe that's not very long to some, but for me, I feel like this has been a long time and I feel like I have all the information I need to proceed with WLS except for a few things. And these things I wanted to ask to Post DSers, newbies, AND experienced lol!
The reasons I lean toward the DS are:
  "normal" stomach as far as pyloric valve in tact, and working.
  No Dumping Syndrome
  Statistics show better results longer
  Less chance of regain, of course with given we make the right choice

What scares me:
  Greater risk of complications vs RNY
  The More Bathroom trips, GAS
  More Malnutrition vs RNY

So, how do you feel about these things? What are your personal experiences? Why did you choose DS, and what options did you consider? 

About me: I'm 30 years old, 350lbs, and I don't remember the last time I was under 265lbs. I've been "chubby" my WHOLE life. I have dieted, lost maybe 20 lbs here and there, and always gain back with interest. I have 2 little boys that I want to be more active with, and I want to watch them grow up! My Mom and her parents both battle Diabetes and High BP that's weight related. I'm headed in that direction if I don't do something now.

I DONT want to be one of the people I know who've lost with RNY, and 4 or 5 yrs later they are consistently gaining back, and I feel with the DS, and with proper use of my new tool, that may be better for me....

Did anyone else feel like this too?
I'm sorry for the rant, but I'm actually excited about the referral, cannot wait to go to my first appt, and want to be ready with which surgery I feel is best for me and why. Thanks everyone!!

If you really knew me, you'd see my heart is honest and pure, your painful words will push me forward on my journey and NOT knock me down! I will succeed this time, for I have the support of a 50 story building, and the love to last a thousand lifetimes! It's time for me to LOVE ME!

MajorMom
on 3/7/12 7:32 am - VA
Welcome! You have some great reasons for taking good look at the DS. :)  Sounds like you've started doing good research.
I think they've pretty much debunked the "greater risk than RNY" because in the past most DS patients were already very sick and that skewed the statistics. Now with the DS more available to more people the stats are pretty even between the RNY and DS for complications. I think there are some studies on www.dsfacts.com that will back me up.
The bathroom issues are really exagerated by most surgeons. I think it's leftover warnings from the old BPD days.  Most of us DSrs go a couple of times in the morning and we're done for the day. There are always exceptions, but most of us are pretty regular in the mornings and done.  Gas can be controlled with your diet and probiotics. Keep your carbs to a minimum, take your probiotics and you should be golden--or at least controlled.
Vitamins are nonnegotiable. Most of us take a lot of vitamins...a lot of vitamins. If you can make that trade off, the DS is a great surgery with a proven track record.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

whatthehair
on 3/7/12 7:50 am - Kalamazoo, MI
 Thanks for the web site, I'm going to check it out! And luckily for me there is 1 DS surgeon in the area within 30 miles from home! I really think I want to go with my first instinct and do the DS, especially because I dont want to dump! I sometimes get heart palpitations due to stress and anxiety, and if that dumping syndrome kinda encourages racing heart, IDK if I could handle it. And everyone dumps on different things. Thank you tons!!!
MajorMom
on 3/7/12 8:18 am - VA
There's a good list of surgeons on that site too. Are you looking at Dr Kemeter?  

--g

******GOAL*******

Join us on the
Lightweights Board!

whatthehair
on 3/7/12 8:48 am - Kalamazoo, MI
 Yes Dr Kemeter, I hear he is the BEST in my area!!!
MajorMom
on 3/7/12 8:59 am - VA
Yep, I heard his a good one. Are you on Facebook? There's a group over there where some Dr K's patients post--along with bunch of others.

******GOAL*******

Join us on the
Lightweights Board!

whatthehair
on 3/7/12 9:05 am - Kalamazoo, MI
Yes I am On FB, how would I find them??
MajorMom
on 3/7/12 9:24 am - VA
I'll send you my FB contact info via PM. It's a private group I'll ask to get you added.

******GOAL*******

Join us on the
Lightweights Board!

Jackie P.
on 3/7/12 10:21 am - Hamilton, Canada
VSG on 04/10/13
 Thanks for asking this question. I am in the same boat as you and love to hear why people chose DS over RNY,
whatthehair
on 3/7/12 10:23 am - Kalamazoo, MI
 I am FULL of questions lol! And to be honest, for my own reasons, I'm really leaning toward the DS!
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 980 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1170 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 445 views