2 Year Surgiversary...Life With The DS

sassyjonz
on 2/18/12 2:42 am - Atlanta, GA
Hey everybody! I haven't posted in quite a while but I have been on occasionally reading posts to stay on top of the WLS/DS community.

Yesterday was my 2 year surgiversary, so I am posting an update. Honestly, I had forgotten all about it. Healthwise, things are fine. Other than some kidney stone issues that I have been dealing with since Christmas, I don't really have any physical complaints that can't be blamed on old age...LOL!

I had a lot of distractions the last 6-9 months. First, I did a lot of work travel in 2011 and that really disrupted my exercise schedule. I have really fallen off and I'm lucky to get in the gym once a week these days. But also during that time, I became certified to teach water aerobics so I am hoping that will help get me sparked up to get back to it. My reduced workouts haven't affected my weight however. The other distraction is a man. Yes, I did finally meet a wonderful man. He is perfect for me. But the relationship is not without complications. I did not anticipate that a relationship would be so complicated, so much work and so difficult. I really thought that at our age, it would be pretty cut and dry. Stupid, I know. So anyway, that saga continues with it's highs and lows and ups and downs.

My weight is stable and has been for probably the last 12 months. I stay in my range of 155-160 and usually hover around 155-156 if my eating is fairly carb conservative. I actually did get down to 153 during the height of my issue with kindney stones. I don't really worry too much about what I eat. I think I am as aware of what I eat as I was before WLS, I just eat different things now. I am a carb and sugar monster and I don't deny myself things I love like chocolate, ice cream, etc. But I do try to be conscious of how much I eat and when.

As a result, I probably have more issues than I should with gas and bowel movements. I don't have problems with bowel movements per se, I just have them quite often. Several times a day in fact. I know that I have one within an hour or 2 of eating just about anything...sometimes even less. I haven't made the connection of what I eat and how long the BM takes to arrive. I am of the opinion that if you eat something, it should digest and be expelled. Not having a BM more than once a day is probably not particularly healthy. And as someone who only had a BM every other day or so pre-op, and a mother who died of colorectal cancer, I'm not gonna cry about having one several times a day. I really need to keep a food diary so I can have more control. I talk a lot about that but have yet to consistently do it. And the gas, well, that is probably the biggest issue I have. If I really considered it a problem, than I would probably regret my surgery. But I consider it one of the very few prices I pay for the health and well being that the DS allows me to enjoy now. And I would not trade that for anything. So I believe that the gas can be managed somehow. Yes, I know that one of the main ways is diet, but honestly, I think that everything I eat, including protein, gives me some level of gas. And I take primal defense ultra every day. I am fully aware that white flower is the food that feeds my gastrointestinal system to produce absurd amounts of foul smelling flatulence. But it's really hard to escape white flour products. Especially when you love sweets. So, I just have to keep searching for alternatives. If anyone has any other suggestions besides diet or Flagyl, I'd love to hear it.

I am very compliant with vits and I just had my annual labs drawn.  I need to analyze them but on the surface, everything looks pretty good.

As for how much I eat, I can eat a lot. I would say I eat a normal portion sized meal. Sometimes I eat smaller meals more often. I usually get hungry every 2 hours. And if I work out or do any strenuous physical activity, I am ravenously hungry. Sometimes I don't eat much at one time and I wait for a half hour or so and eat some more. It's definitely not a consistent thing and I had to learn to listen to my stomach more closely and stop before I get full or suffer being miserably full.

I have worn a size 8 since I was 11 months post-op. That has not changed, and I must say, this is the longest I have ever maintained a weight or a size in my entire life. And with little effort I might add. I get on the scale almost everyday to keep myself in check and know how I have to manage my eating that day. It's not obssessive, it's just maintenance.

What you realize really quickly about this journey, is that life around you doesn't change even while YOU have transformed. I still have a lot of stress at work and at home. And as I mentioned earlier, men are from mars and that is it's own challenge. The key to all of these challenges is finding ways to cope with them without abusing food.

I still have a hard time shopping. It is NOT my favorite thing to do and if I could afford a personal shopper, I certainly would have one. It is still a strange and unnatural thing for me. Much of that is psychological and I think that some day, that will change. But a lot of it is needing to catch up. It is very daunting to need an entire wardrobe. When you think about all the clothes you collect over a lifetime, it is overwhelming to drop 6 sizes and need EVERYTHING. I am still wearing some things that are entirely too big for me because I haven't replaced them yet. I don't have the benefit of having been a size 8 in the past so I am really starting at square 1. I am overwhelmed at the things I still need. So much so that I am just in denial so I don't shop until it becomes urgent. And as you know, you can never find what you need when you need it. But this too is not a "problem", it is just a change and a challenge that I have to meet head on and I will.

I would love to be able to afford plastic surgery and it's something that I think about often. I was a lightweight but I still lost 110lbs which left my body with some figure issues that I would love to take care of. Still, if I never have PS, I can live with the way my body is now. The only real hanging skin I have are my batwings. And my thighs are pretty loose but I dont let it keep me from wearing bermuda shorts. However, a bikini is completely out of the question. Ideally, if I had 30 or 40k, I would have my arms done, tummy tuck, a breast lift, thigh lift and something done about my ass that does not involve implants. My face took a hit too. I never realized how much fat is in your face. But I could use some fat injections in my laughlines and the skin on my neck tightened up. Even with all that, I do a pretty good job of concealing these issues and I got a good bit of attention on the dating sites so I can't look all that bad right?

Overall, I would say that after 2 years, my life is far, far better than it was pre op. I have a self esteem and confidence in myself that I never had before. It changes my outlook entirely and gives me courage to do and experience things that I would never have as a pre-op.

For those embarking on this journey, do your research, get your head straight, and forge ahead. It is worth it.

Lia

Starting weight & height: 265/5' 8.5; Goal weight: 160; Current weight: 155

MajorMom
on 2/18/12 2:53 am - VA
Happy surgiversary, Lia.  

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

galla1
on 2/18/12 4:57 am
 Congrats!!

SW 314-- CW 170-- GW 155   HT 5'7"  I love my DS !!
fullhousemom
on 2/18/12 5:15 am
I loved hearing about your life 2 years out.  I am four months out and really feeling like I am coasting.  I have been thinking alot about what things will be like in a year and in another year.  I am looking forward to doing some clothes shopping, but it just doesn't make sense yet.

Glad to hear you are doing so well!
MARTINA P.
on 2/18/12 6:39 am - ROCKMART, GA
 Lia I am so happy for you and your weightloss
MARTINA
Rockmart Georgia                        
HW: 315 CW: 117 GW:  First goal 150 met 3/23/2012, Second goal 135

gak
on 2/19/12 7:52 am
Revision on 06/21/13
 Happy Surgiversary ! You have done great ! CONGRATS !  

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm   

sassyjonz
on 2/19/12 9:55 am - Atlanta, GA
Thanks everyone!

Starting weight & height: 265/5' 8.5; Goal weight: 160; Current weight: 155

Fascinated One
on 2/21/12 9:28 pm - Atlanta, GA
Thanks for sharing your story, and congrats on all your successes. The DS never ceases to amaze.
determineddanni
on 2/22/12 12:57 am
congrats!!

HW 259          SW 256          CW 141       GW 150

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 708 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1018 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 341 views