Paula Deen is a DSer's dream cook!

April M.
on 12/9/11 4:02 am - MI

I found Paula Deen's crockpot mac and cheese, omg amazing! Here's the recipe, with my changes noted in red:

Ingredients

• 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni (an 8-ounce box isn't quite 2 cups) I used 1/2 box of Dreamfield's Rotini, it was what I had on hand
    • 4 tablespoons (1/2 stuck) butter, cut into pieces I used a whole stick, cause, well, I could!
  • 2 1/2 cups (about 10 ounces) grated sharp Cheddar cheese I just measured out 10 ounces and cubed it up
  • 3 eggs, beaten
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can condensed Cheddar cheese soup
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • I also added 1/2 tsp each of galic powder and onion powder

Directions

Boil the macaroni in a 2 quart saucepan in plenty of water until tender, about 7 minutes. Drain. I didn't cook the pasta first... just threw it in the crockpot dry, and it came out amazing (and not overcooked, which is easy to do with dreamfield's).

In a medium saucepan, mix butter and cheese. Stir until the cheese melts. I combined the butter and cheese in a microwave safe bowl and nuked 'em for 30 second intervals until they combined well, about 3 minutes total.

In a
slow cooker, combine cheese/butter mixture and add the eggs, sour cream, soup, salt, milk, mustard and pepper and stir well.

Then add drained (uncooked)
macaroni and stir again. Set the slow cooker on low setting and cook for 3 hours, stirring occasionally.

*Notes* It's a little greasy at first... I considered cutting the butter bac****il it was doubly amazing the next day heated up, and the extra butter seemed to have absorbed into the sauce. This is the first recipe I've ever made that actually gets better the second day. I forgot myself and sprinkled my (powdered, not good quality) parmesan on top before I reheated a bowl the next day, and it got all crispy and yummy like cheesy bread crumbs on top. I believe I may have to keep a batch of this made all the time in the fridge, I ate so well for a couple days!

When I plugged the recipe with my changes into myfitnesspal.com, and adjusted the serving size ( I got 4 servings of about 1 1/4 cups each out of it), here's the nutritional info per serving and per batch. This takes into account the "protected carbs" in dreamfield's, so it's pretty spot on for us :)

Protein          Total Carbs         Fiber       Net Carbs      Fat        Calories
Per Serving:            32g                    22g                    5g              17g              60g           847
Total:                       129g                   89g                   19g              70g             241g        3386

Enjoy! It's amazing!

~April~                                             5'7" 
       2 Part DS                   BMI: S/C/G    59.3/33.5/24.9   

Part 1: 3/14/11                HW/SW#1/SW#2/CW/GW      
    Part 2: 7/14/11                  
379/366/319/214/

smileyjamie72
on 12/9/11 4:51 am - Palmer, AK

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!

Bookmarked for future use!!!!!!

-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

fullhousemom
on 12/9/11 9:05 am
What is the difference between Dreamfields pasta and another whole grain pasta?  I am two months out.  Do you think I can have this?  It looks awesome to me and something my family would love!  Thanks for sharing!
BBoop
on 12/9/11 1:17 pm
Dreamfields is low carb...most WW pasta is not...or at least what they have in the grocery where I live.

Try the recipe...it shouldn't hurt you...just eat it slowly, and make sure you aren't over filling.

B
HeatherLynn
on 12/9/11 11:58 am - TX
 I'd like to know if it's newbie safe too. :)

My angel is RagamuffinB, and she rocks! 
Larissa P.
on 12/10/11 12:47 am - Denton, TX
I don't think any pasta - low carb or otherwise - is newbie safe, if for no other reason than it will crowd out your limited tummy space for protein.
Duodenal Switch hybrid due to complications.

Click! > DS Documents ~ VitaLady.com ~ DSFacts.com ~ OH DS FB
(deactivated member)
on 12/9/11 2:06 pm, edited 12/9/11 2:39 pm
I thought with Dreamfield's pasta (except their lasagna noodles) you aren't suppose to cook it ahead of time or leave left overs because the "special powers" wouldn't work anymore?

ETA ... From their website: "Can I reheat leftover Dreamfields pasta? For best enjoyment and optimum healthful benefits, Dreamfields should be eaten in one sitting. If you do have leftovers we recommend keeping the pasta and sauce separate. Lightly drizzle the pasta with light vegetable oil to keep it from sticking and store in an airtight container for up to 36 hours. Reheat on low heat or microwave. Even with these precautions, the protective matrix may still be damaged depending on your individual cir****tances. Tomato sauce and other high acid sauces may break down the protective matrix over time. This does not occur in the time it normally takes to eat a meal but may occur if the meal is stored as a left over and then reheated. The amount of acidity in the sauce, the amount of time the meal is stored and the temperature and time of reheating may all have an effect.   Does this include Lasagna? Our lasagna is specially formulated not to break down when prepared according to the recipe on the carton, which calls for boiling the noodles for 12 – 14 minutes, draining and rinsing with cold water. Then assemble the noodles with the other ingredients and bake in a 375 degree oven for 45 minutes covered with foil and then an additional 10 minutes uncovered. We have tested the lasagna noodles prepared this way and the results show the protective matrix still delivers only 5 grams of digestible carbs per serving." -http://www.dreamfieldsfoods.com/faq-q89-reheat-leftover-drea mfields-pasta-on-low-heat.html
MsBatt
on 12/11/11 10:33 pm
I call bull**** on Dreamfield's claim of 'magical powers'. It's the ONLY pasta that always, without fail, no matter how little of it I eat, gives me horrible gas.

But all pasta goes through a molecular change when cooled and reheated. Makes it more fart-ogenetic, somehow. When I make my own pasta at home (ravioli, generally) I can eat it till the cows come home without gas problems.
(deactivated member)
on 12/12/11 5:37 am
 I had Dreamsfield pre-op when I was diabetic but I didn't test my sugar levels to know if it made any difference.

Haven't had any post-op but I have had a little bite of pasta gloriously surrounded by tons of meat sauce and didn't seem to have any problems. I love meat sauce lmao
yorkieGal
on 12/11/11 10:16 pm - Clermont, FL

Oh April, this is going in te crock pot this afternoon, thanks so much, I am going to love this....

I eat pretty low carb most of the time anyway so if there are a few more carbs in the "reheated" version it shouldnt really matter to me plus the fat should help it move right one through if ya know what I mean lol

Yorkie xx

Had a band in 2005 at 280lbs, had band removed and DS done on Jan 22nd 08 at 220lbs in Spain, now 135lbs and a size 4!! Happy as a Clam!!Dontcha love the DS? It's the best tool around!!                

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 824 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1086 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 360 views