Villi regrowth?

Just Ducky - The
Meditative Hag

on 11/26/11 1:03 am - Belleville, IL
Hi!
Serious questions for my DS friends.... As we know one bad thing about the RNY is that after so long the malabsorbtion begings to stop because the intestines adapt and begin to regrow more villi and get more adept at absorption.

Does this happen at all to DS folks and if not, why not? I have a friend (not online here) who is considering DS and I want to give her all the best informaton I can... I gave her the link to Diana's the DS site, but she was asking me about this and I had no answer for her (As to why Malabsorbtion goes away in RNY but not DS?)

Thanks!
Warmly,
Jackie

(deactivated member)
on 11/26/11 1:25 am - TX
 I don't have the exact numbers in front of me but the amount of intestine bypassed in the RNY is so small compared to the 60% (I think) bypassed in the DS is the key to villi regrowth.

DS'ers do probably have some villi regrowth, it's just the amount of intestine bypassed makes it an insurmountable obstacle for the body to overcome.

The smaller amount of bypassed intestine for   the RNY is easier for the body to overcome.  

The difference is kind of like walking the Foothills of the Rockies vs crawling Mt Everest naked on foot in January. 
(deactivated member)
on 11/26/11 1:47 am - Woodbridge, VA
What Ragamuffin said! Because the typical DS bypass is so much more extensive than that of a proximal RNY, the additional villi growth still can't fully compensate for all of the malabsorption, so some of the malabsorption is permanent (in both cases, malabsorption of certain vitamins/minerals is permanent regardless).
Valerie G.
on 11/26/11 3:05 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

What they said.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Just Ducky - The
Meditative Hag

on 11/26/11 3:14 am - Belleville, IL
Thanks Folks!
I knew you'd have an answer and now that I think about it, it makes alot of sense!
I'll pass that info along to my friend.
Warmly,
Jackie

PattyL
on 11/26/11 4:56 am
 Your body will always do it's best to adapt.

Years agon this board there was a very young woman who had the DS.  She regained and when they checked her out surgically, her small intestine had regrown!  I'm sure this was related to her being a teen when she had the procedure.

And btw, they learned all about how the guts adapt by watching people who were the pioneers of all WLS.  Soldiers who were injured in wars and were followed by the VA hospitals for the rest of their lives.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1051 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 9 replies · 1211 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 502 views