Surgery Countdown what do I need beforehand!

Sher Bear Mama
on 11/15/11 2:33 pm
Hi everyone,

My surgery is about 3 weeks away and I'm thinking that I need to start getting my house ready for the next chapter--the dark side.

I know this question has been asked before but I havent been able to find it when I do a search.  So, I'd love for some of the vets here help me make a list of things to bring to the hospital before surgery and then another list of things I MUST have when I get back from the hospital.  I'm lucky enough to be staying at my in-laws' house for at least 3 weeks or so and I'll have lots of help around me (with the kids and with myself as well!).  My mother in law has said she's going to force me to walk around her house quite a bit--which is great because it's a one story 6400 square foot house--LOTS of room for walking.  And I'm sure they'll fetch anything I need from the stores as well.

So, once again, a list of things to bring to the hospital, and a list of things to have at home (vites, protein shakes, etc.).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sher-
Sher--the bear mama

trxxyy
on 11/15/11 9:49 pm - Orange County, CA
Wow, only 3 weeks away!   I know how long you have patiently waited after your fight to get a DS.

Must have for the hospital:  extension cord!  I type this half laughing but I did bring one with me and it saved my sanity since most of the outlets in the room were too far from the bed or recliner to plug my phone in and have easy access to it.  I would have had my computer  with me but no WiFi in the hospital so I relied on my iPhone. 

Here are a couple of other things I brought along too: 
-Chapstick, this tends to be the one items always on recommendation lists for "must haves" at the hospital.
-Back scratcher, I didn't really use mine in the hospital because it was in my suitcase and I didn't want the nurses to have to go through my huge suitcase.  There were times when I would have used it for hard to reach places and I really used once I was home and unpacked.  This might not be as much of an issue for you (I assume you are having your DS lap) but my DS was open and it was hard to bend over to reach for my lower legs and feet.

At home:
-recliner, for the first week I was much more comfortable in a recliner especially while sleeping. This might not apply to you if your DS is lap.
-Vitamins and Protein powder, it was nice having these already at home after I was released.  I didn't start off running with the vitamins but I was able to start off with small and I quickly worked up to the full Vitalady batch.  Just one less thing to think about when you are back at home recovering.
-a good water bottle, I bought a Camelbak Better Bottle and it help me control the flow so I was just taking little little sips out of the straw since you have to kind of work at it.
-a large plastic bubble similar to a hamster ball, this is a joke but I know you have a toddler and my youngest son loves to climb all over me.  My husband made sure that whenever my 3 year old was in the room he was right there blocking him from taking a flying leap into my lap.

That is it for now, I have to go and wake my oldest son up since I can hear him continually hit the snooze button.  If I think of anything else I will let you know. 

-shelly

Sher Bear Mama
on 11/15/11 11:45 pm
Thanks Shelly!!!  I'm writing down everything you said so that I can start getting ready.  Can you believe the wait is finally over?!?! It feels like forever since I last saw you but in some ways it feels like yesterday.  I'm just excited to have it all get going and hoping that I get through those first 6-8 weeks without too, too much pain and suffereing.

Can't wait to see you at the next meeting--on the DARK SIDE! 

Sher-
Sher--the bear mama

Valerie G.
on 11/15/11 10:28 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA
For the hospital - earplugs (for hospitals are noisy and no place for rest) and chapstick.  You have long hair, so a ponytail holder will be nice too.  Don't bother with any jammies.  You'll likely seep around the wound, thus ruining your own duds.  Instead, wear the hospital gown, with another put on backwards to serve as a robe.

For home -- single servings of oodles of brands and flavors of protein drinks.  What tastes good now may taste like pure monkey ass when you're home from the hospital.  Take the time to find what sucks less before sinking a lot of money into anything.  Also, get a supply of eggs, ricotta, cottage cheese, yogurt and such handy.  Don't have MIL stock too much though.  Wait and see what's appealing and sitting well before she does the grocery shopping.  Also, have flushable wet wipes handy.  I found a clean bum to be very soothing.  Tongs or a wooden spoon can help with self-cleaning if you find you can't reach very well at first.  I was also a big fan of a shower chair for a while.  Check goodwill or a thrift store for something cheap.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

trxxyy
on 11/16/11 2:10 am - Orange County, CA
Oh yes, earplugs!  I ended up using my iPhone ear buds and plugged then into the TV (which swiveled right next to the bed).  This was far better than a patient in another room who coughed and whined the last two days I was in the hospital.

Another one I just thought of is a sleep mask.  I wish I would have brought one, everything the nurse or LVN came in the room I woke up and couldn't get back to sleep.

Yes, another one I forgot, some sort of wipe utensil.  My hubby was delegated to that duty (and drain emptying) so at least I know for sure he really loves me.

Blank Out
on 11/15/11 10:35 pm
 Bring your own undies, and if needed, your own feminine products.  The hospital underwear and pads are HORRIBLE!   This is what made me so miserable!  And yes, I was on my period when I went in for surgery, lucky me!  I seem to ALWAYS be on my period!

HW/ 302  SW/287  CW/140  GW/135

Valerie G.
on 11/16/11 2:45 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
LOL - I went commando.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Blank Out
on 11/15/11 10:36 pm
 Just curious, how many DS surgeries has your surgeon done?  Did you do your homework and make sure you are using a vetted, tried and true DS surgeon???

HW/ 302  SW/287  CW/140  GW/135

Sher Bear Mama
on 11/15/11 11:35 pm
Hi.  I've actually discussed this before with the veterans here like DianaCox and Larra.  The surgeon I'm using is a bariatric surgeon who is the ONLY doctor that Kaiser send intestional patients to--he puts their intestines back together after cancer, injury, obstruction, etc.  One of the DSrs here on OH is now a Kaiser patient and months after her surgery she had an obstruction and she was sent directly to him.  He has been trained in the DS as well.  Bookfaerie (also on the board) used him and said he was the most contiencious surgeon she's had and kept her 8 days after her surgery to make sure that all was closed up, healing, and that she was ready to go home. 

No matter how many surgeries he does, it's doubtful that he'll ever get on the vetted list for a few reasons: 1) He's with Kaiser so the number of DSrs that walk through his door will always be quite small compared to those outside of Kaiser.  Kaiser fights patients to NOT get the DS because it's not a surgery that they feel is safe (Meh, what the hell do they know?).  2) Dr. Belzberg isn't completely pro-DS.  He is hesitant to agree to do the procedure and says that he's concerned with the long-term care of a DS patient.  He told me that he knows that Kaiser (among other institutions) doesn't offer the proper counseling to insure a good diet and vitamin regimen post surgery.  He said he'd be happy to do the surgery for me since I know so much about the medical care and lifestyle afterwards but I had to really prove it to him--telling him that I was part of OH, that I was part of a DS meet-up group, and that I actually had a very good friend (one of his patients) who would walk me through it. 

I so very much appreciate your questions and concerns.  At this point, I'm very confident my decision and I know I'll do just fine.  Thanks!
Sher-

Sher--the bear mama

Elizabeth N.
on 11/15/11 11:24 pm - Burlington County, NJ
Flushable wet wipes, a package at every toilet.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 980 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1170 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 443 views