DS in two parts? (Ratkitten or others?)

Trish-hoping
on 11/15/11 1:41 am - Benton, Canada
Hi there DSers. My name is Trish and I had the VSG a little over a year ago. I did well with it and lost 125lbs. I have been the same give or take 5lbs for the last 4 months. The DS was the original surgery I wanted but got the VSG due to my provincial medicare paying for it for me and the DS was not available to me as an option at that time(same story, diff details!) So I was hoping for someone to pitch in and let me know of someone who has done well getting the DS in two parts. I am currently researching surgeons and self pay options for the second half of the DS(malabsorption part) as I still have a fair amount of weight to lose and would really like to finish this weight loss journey. However I had heard that the success rate drops for those who the two surgeries separately. Any info or encouragement would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much ...Trish
HW-362 SW-330  (21lbs lost on pre-op diet)  Over HALF way there!!  
(deactivated member)
on 11/15/11 2:43 am
Hiya Trish,

I had the DS in two parts by choice. Mainly because I thought I could beat the odds and keep the weight off with the new and wonderful VSG (in 2004). After starting to rapidly regain, I armed myself with the DS facts for the malabsorption part here on the forum, what vits I needed, how I needed to be my own advocate and what to expect.

I can tell you that I have a 100cm common channel. I have lost 60 lbs since the 2nd part surgery and am slowly losing an ounce here and there (been a stressful last 6 months cuz of life issues).  I was considered a light weight and prepared myself that I might not be able to lose weight to goal like a virgin DS. One of the things I need to remind myself is to not compare weight loss rates with anyone and know that I don't have the synergy that a virgin DS has when all done at the same time.

I am successful in that I am still losing and will continue to albeit slower than most as a two-parter.

My vitamins/minerals are beautiful due to starting off on the right foot and following VL's schedule; modifying as time has passed.  Calcium is fabbo, bone density test numbers are all in positive range, PTH is amazingly low, and I have gotten ferritin up via infusions (most iron loss due to fibroids and heavy cycle - not necessarily the DS).

Good luck with your research! Hope the info helps.

Hugs,
Ratkity
Trish-hoping
on 11/15/11 4:14 am - Benton, Canada
Thank you Ratkity that is amazingly helpful. I  consider 60 more pounds to be success for sure. I would be nearly at goal should I be so blessed to lose that much more. It is definitely the extra help maintaining the weight loss that has me looking into the DS. The vitamin info was also helpful as I knew the committment from studying the DS procedure in my initial search.

If there are any others out there who have done the DS in two parts I would love to hear of your journey as well. Thanks again that is great info. I am finding out in my search that it may cost more than I initially thought to get it even if I do have the first part already. I still have fairly good restriction I feel(probably about 1 cup of food total, I can eat to full) Is it more cost effective to go to Mexico or Spain or Brazil than in the US or Canada, I had thought it was but not sure?? ...Trish
HW-362 SW-330  (21lbs lost on pre-op diet)  Over HALF way there!!  
PatXYZ
on 11/15/11 8:03 am
Dr. Gagner will do it in Montreal for around $16000-$17000 if you don't need a resleeve if he agrees that your VSG has failed you. If you are still obese (BMI over 30) you can make a case for a revision through the provincial health insurance, but you usually have to be at least 1.5-2 years out of from surgery for that.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 765 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1055 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 349 views