Uh oh....high blood sugars!

DarcyMad
on 11/3/11 10:16 pm - Cedar Park, TX
Ok so I've been doing great but the last 2 days my blood sugars have been in the 120's when they've previously been in the 80's.  I'm freaking out a little since staving off Type II diabetes was the main reason for this surgery.  Hell, by this point it may be Type I?  That's what happened to my mom, only without the DS.

Any experts out there have any info on why my blood sugars would be suddenly so high?  Anything I may be deficient in that would effect it?  I've emailed my surgeon for my new round of labs so I'm hoping I find out something!

Thanks for your help!
DarcyMad
Surgery Date:  11/15/2010
Jewel506 is my Angel!    Angel to Kristi (Momx4)
Anything that is, or was, began as a dream - Lavagirl 

Kayla B.
on 11/4/11 12:45 am - Austin, TX
these are fasting or non-fasting?

I wouldn't freak til we get an A1C.  That'll tell you what they've been doing over time.
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
DarcyMad
on 11/4/11 1:00 am - Cedar Park, TX
These are fasting.  First thing in the morning.  I'm getting my annual bloodwork done today so I should know something soon.  The A1C is included.

I'm hearing that hormones, thyroid and iron can mess with your blood sugars.  I know iron is a problem for some on here and I have had low thyroid issues in the past.  It takes the T4 and free something test to pick up on it but its there...barely.  It could be becoming a bigger issue now.  I guess we'll see!
DarcyMad

Elizabeth N.
on 11/4/11 1:09 am - Burlington County, NJ
Meh, I wouldn't worry much at all about a few 120's. Go get an A1c done to see how you're really doing.

It's EXTREMELY unlikely to be type I. Type I diabetes is a whole different animal.

DarcyMad
on 11/4/11 1:11 am - Cedar Park, TX
Thanks EN!  That makes me feel a little better.  I should say that I haven't been completely good with Halloween just having happened.  I have snuck some chocolate here and there.  Not overkill by any means but I have definitely cut it all out now!  I don't want to take any chances.
DarcyMad

Elizabeth N.
on 11/4/11 1:21 am - Burlington County, NJ
So MANY things drive blood sugars into small anomalies. Maybe you got a little zap of stress these past few cooler mornings that made your toes curl with the chill. Just that could be enough to change your blood sugar. A silly example, I know, but I'm trying to show you that blood sugar levels are complicated.

Yeah, eating a few extra carbs might have given you a little more *bounce* in levels. In other words, when you ate your chocolate, it might have cause a bit of a bolus, causing a little more insulin to kick in, causing a bit of a drop, causing a bit of a rebound....Like reactive hypoglycemia in miniature.

What I just described is totally within normal limits of how normal people's systems can react to unaccustomed carb intake. I'll be money you're just fine. But go get that A1c done to be sure.

(deactivated member)
on 11/4/11 1:50 am, edited 11/4/11 1:51 am
Also keep in mind that all diabetics have a high sugar reading in the morning (fasting). It's just one of those odd things. I'm sure there's some biochem reason for it, but I'm too lazy to look up the pathway right now LOL. Also stress, some antibiotics, some medications, farting gnomes and some odd fairies can make fasting blood sugar spike. Since it's a snapshot of one moment in time, I'd get the A1C reading like has been suggested since it's a 3 month average. I would suggest to do it again in a couple months to see if you are trending up.

Hugs,
Ratkity

edit: See EN was posting as I was and said the same thing. Careful of farting gnomes, though. They can reek havoc on many things.

(deactivated member)
on 11/4/11 3:46 am - MN
DS on 03/13/12
get your a1c checked but they could be higher then normal if you are starting to get sick or come down with anything. Stress can also cause you to have higher numbers. Also if they do say its D have them check for antibodies, it is possible to get T1 later in life, its not common but it is possible. Also you could take and check before you eat then check again 2 hours after you have eaten to get an idea how effectively your body is handling the foods.
(deactivated member)
on 11/4/11 4:41 am
It would be worth seeing if they can add insulin antibodies and a c-peptide to your labs for additional information.  A glucose tolerance test would also be very helpful.  Keep us posted.
Elizabeth N.
on 11/4/11 4:55 am - Burlington County, NJ
Which test rules out the worry of ever developing type I diabetes? I have SIL's who are identical twins. One has type I and one does not. This was of interest to researchers so they participated in a study. SIL was told she was at no risk of ever developing type I because of.....? (Apparently a long-known test?)

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 984 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1170 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 447 views