Wanting A Revision From RNY To DS With Dr. Ungson

Beautywithin
on 10/31/11 6:58 am - San Jose, CA
Has anyone had a revison from RNY to DS with Dr. Ungson?

If so, I would love to hear your journey.

Also, does anyone have his direct phone # or Luz's contact info.? I sent a email, but no response. I called the # on his website but all spanish options.
(deactivated member)
on 10/31/11 7:44 am
I had my (virgin) DS with Dr. Ungson and his team, all of them are great!

Here is Luz's email address: [email protected], sometimes it can take a few days for her to get back to you (:

Good luck!
Rhiannon
on 10/31/11 11:49 am
To the best of my knowledge Dr Ungson does lapband to DS revisions, but not RNY to DS revisions.  You can still ask Luz, see what she says.  There are a number of exceptional RNY to DS revision surgeons in CA, you may want to contact one of them.
Emily F.
on 10/31/11 11:53 am
I have given you all my email addresess. If you check your spam folder, That's all I can think of. They must not be interested in doing it. Sorry.
nightowl
on 10/31/11 12:26 pm - Topeka, KS
This person was displeased with her revision with Dr. U.  She paid for a revision from old stapling procedure (I'm not sure if it was more like a RNY or a vertical banded gastroplasty) to DS, but after she woke up she did not get a DS -- she ended up with a BPD and it's pouch.
http//www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/board_id,5357/user_id,833064/a,messageboard/action,memberPosts/page,1/

See posts from, for example, 9-23-2010.

She still recommends him for virgin DSes, but not a complex revision.
Rena H.
on 10/31/11 6:34 pm - Spokane, WA
I am not sure if he does RNY to DS revisions. He is an excellent DS surgeon, but that is an entirely different surgery.
HW - 395 / SW - 358 / GW - 150

larra
on 11/1/11 1:59 am - bay area, CA
Dr. Ungson does not do RNY to DS revisions. There is no surgeon in Mexico who does them, and in fact no other experienced DS surgeon in Mexico (though there isi another surgeon who is learning the DS with Dr. Ungson). This is a very complex, high risk surgery and you absolutely need an experienced DS revision surgeon. However, you are right here in the bar area, where you have access to Dr. Rabkin, who does do RNY to DS revisions. Another CA option is Dr. Keshishian in Gelndale.

Larra
daqman247
on 11/1/11 7:57 am, edited 11/1/11 8:31 am - Clovis, CA
RNY on 01/11/12
 I am actually trying to get my doctor on www.dsfacts.com

Dr. Kelvin Higa
Www.ALSAbariatrics.com

He is in Fresno, CA though.

Hes one of the top doctors on the west coast and internationally known as well.

He teaches other doctors how to perform weight loss surgery as well.

He's also the President of the American Society for Bariatric Surgery (ASBS) which happens in San Diego, CA.

The in-house Psych had the VSG with him as well, so that makes things alot easier.

The Registered Nutritionist has 20 years of experience.

He also doesn't charge a program fee.

Highly recommended as an alternative.
Ms. Cal Culator
on 11/1/11 9:02 am, edited 11/1/11 9:11 am - Tuvalu

Do NOT follow information and advice from people who do not know what they are talking about.  

For example:

On November 1, 2011 at 2:57 PM Pacific Time, daqman247 wrote:  I am actually trying to get my doctor on www.dsfacts.com

Dr. Kelvin Higa
Www.ALSAbariatrics.com

He's also the President of the American Society for Bariatric Surgery (ASBS) which happens in San Diego, CA.

The in-house Psych had the VSG with him as well, so that makes things alot easier.

I can pretty much guarantee you that Higa will NOT be listed on DSfacts.com

He is NOT one of the "top" doctors on the West Coast...whatever that means.

He is NOT the President of the ASMBS (the correct initials) and the ASMBS is headquartered in Florida, not San Diego.  (Although there are state chapters and I think Higa was a National Officeholder a few years ago.)

There is no licensing of Nutritionists in California so there is no such thing as a "Registered Nutritionist."

An RD, if that's what s/he is, with 20 years experience, may be more dangerous than NO RD as many of them have little or no experience with DS patients.  (And ASTUTE DS patients figure that out right way.)

NOT EVEN CLOSE TO A VIABLE ALTERNATIVE...especially for a revision.

This guy (the pink stuff above) is posting dangerous info.  Ignore him.

(deactivated member)
on 11/1/11 9:12 am - San Jose, CA
On November 1, 2011 at 4:02 PM Pacific Time, Ms. Cal Culator wrote:

Do NOT follow information and advice from people who do not know what they are talking about.  

For example:

On November 1, 2011 at 2:57 PM Pacific Time, daqman247 wrote:  I am actually trying to get my doctor on www.dsfacts.com

Dr. Kelvin Higa
Www.ALSAbariatrics.com

I can pretty much guarantee you that Higa will NOT be listed on DSfacts.com

He is NOT one of the "top" doctors on the West Coast...whatever that means.

He is NOT the President of the ASMBS (the correct initials) and the ASMBS is headquartered in Florida, not San Diego.  (Although there are state chapters and I think Higa was in a National office a few years ago.)

There is no licensing of Nutritionists in California so there is no such thing as a "Registered Nutritionist."

An RD, if that's what s/he is, with 20 years experience, may be more dangerous than NO RD as many of them have little or no experience with DS patients.  (And ASTUTE DS patients figure that out right way.)

NOT EVEN CLOSE TO A VIABLE ALTERNATIVE...especially for a revision.

This guy (the pink stuff above) is posting dangerous info.  Ignore him.

Daqman is so ignorant, he doesn't even know how ignorant he is.

And now, he will probably block another of the people in the best position to help him get a DS.  Sounds about right to me.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 979 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1170 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 441 views