Iron infusion question

KellyJTn
on 10/11/11 6:35 am - Oak Ridge, TN
I had an iron infusion last week. It was the fereheme iron that they just push in over 5 minutes, and left me with a regular IV for an hour to watch me. I had another one today and they said I was all done, that I didn't have to do the 5 separate times. She said I would be good for maybe a year. That means that I don't have to take any iron pills at all, correct? I've always had a problem with being anemic, and even more so post-op. Just want to make sure I don't end up anemic again.

~Kelly ~   
SW 364/CW 164/GW 150             

Ms. Cal Culator
on 10/11/11 6:44 am, edited 10/11/11 6:47 am - Tuvalu

Depends on WHY you needed IV iron.  I need it because of a combination of a genetic thing which has caused lifelong anemia and the DS wherein I absorb even less than I did.

The end result is that there is no point FOR ME in consuming any iron orally because what goes into my stomach--in food form or pill form--is just not absorbed.  I will "end up anemic again" whether I take pills or not.

But other people, like my BIL who had a bleed and became anemic that way but who IS able to absorb oral iron probably should take it. 

I don't know which you are.
KellyJTn
on 10/11/11 6:55 am - Oak Ridge, TN
I honestly don't know which I am either. I just know that over the years the times my blood has been checked, I've been slightly anemic and I have taken pills to correct it. Of course, it's never lasted long term. This time though, my levels were super low, so they sent me straight for the infusions.

~Kelly ~   
SW 364/CW 164/GW 150             

newyorkbitch
on 10/11/11 10:03 am
Do not wait a year to check the levels.  It's hard to predict when you may need another infusion.  Everybody is different.
KellyJTn
on 10/11/11 10:28 am - Oak Ridge, TN
Oh I definitely wouldn't wait a year to check my levels. I have all my labs drawn every 3 months like clockwork, so it will be done in 3 months. I was just curious if I should be ok, or if I should continue taking the iron pills until that appointment (when I can officially see what my labs are).

~Kelly ~   
SW 364/CW 164/GW 150             

Kayla B.
on 10/11/11 10:45 am, edited 10/11/11 10:45 am - Austin, TX
Once it has been established that you simply do not absorb oral iron and the pills/supplements are doing nothing for you...I think you can stop putting yourself through the misery of buying and taking the iron.  Confirm that this is the best way to go with your hematologist and then you' re free.

If you're still not sure whether you absorb the oral iron, you are more than welcome to keep taking it until you have convinced yourself otherwise.

So...for the people that just never took their iron correctly and ended up needing an infusion, I'd see how supplements treat them and see if they can maintain post-infusion.  But if you've been taking it, in the right forms, in the right amounts, in the right way...and you're still at a standstill...different story.

5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 858 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1107 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 370 views