Do not know how much more liquid diet I can take

pawmetto.on.cloud.

on 9/24/11 1:03 am
I am 10 days out and my docotr has me on a liquid diet for 21 days.  I am having a hard time getting protein and I have tried what I would say is every protein drink under the sun and they upset my new tummy... which makes no sense because I can drink all the milk I would please with no issue.
I have tried diffrent sweeteners and then no sweetners, the ones I liked before opp ( nectar and About time) do not sit well any more.
I need Help any suggestions?

newyorkbitch
on 9/24/11 1:08 am
Eat some yogurt and soft-scrambled eggs.
larra
on 9/24/11 1:11 am - bay area, CA
Your body has protein stored up that will get you through the first few rough weeks. It WILL get better, honest!
     In the meantime, just focus on getting in enough liquids. And you could try (if you haven't already) the Adkins protein shakes. They were the only ones I could tolerate. Not huge amounts of protein, but better than nothing.

Larra
Kathleen F.
on 9/24/11 1:59 am, edited 9/24/11 1:59 am

I would second the Atkins protein drinks. Have you tried egg white protein? If the flavoring and sweeteners bother you, you could get the plain egg white protein powder and try that.

I find the whole idea of 3 weeks liquid diet post surgery rather interesting. I was never on a liquid diet after surgery. But I am sure your doctor has a good reason for requiring that from his patients. I would stick with it. 3 weeks will be over before you know it.

Mdae
on 9/24/11 3:15 am
I would NOT advise eating real food before your doctor wants you to.  He has rules for a reason.

Protein isn't nearly as big a priority right now as water.  Water should be your big focus.  But remember this stage is temporary.

My surgeon typically recommends a total of 40 days of liquid (10 pre-op).  This is extreme, but he's cautious.  And I won't lie, it was rough.  But frankly, I'm very glad he's so careful.  I had zero complications and minimal food-related discomfort.

newyorkbitch
on 9/24/11 4:36 am
40 days of liquid diet is insane.  There is no reason for it.

On top of everything else why on earth does somebody have to suffer to that extent.  It is just nuts.  Cruel and unnecessary.

My DS was with one of the most experienced DS surgeons in the world - Gagner.  I had no diet of any kind pre-op (just nothing from midnight before) and I ate soft foods before I left the hospital.

There are lots of DSers here who had no liquid diet requirement post-op. 

Ask your surgeon why you still need to be on liquids on this point (that was directed to the OP). 

Feeling sated and un-anxious is important too.
Mdae
on 9/24/11 8:37 am

I'm so glad that you're thrilled with your surgeon.  Fortunately, I am too.  

Victorious_one
on 9/24/11 3:30 am - South Central, PA

Is it that the shakes don't sit well, or you're hungry?

If you're hungry, I'd say call your surgeon and ask if you can bump up to some portion of soft foods like scrambled eggs.

If it's shakes, don't worry about it.  I do agree that focusing on fluids is the best idea for now if you're not battling big-time hunger.

Hang in there, it will get better!

Nicole  Lab rata data link- One-half of a DS couple!  - I'M BELOW GOAL!
 http://bit.ly/DSExp  After a very rough start it's official--I my DS!  Romans 8:28 
Looking for DS information? Start at 
 http://bit.ly/newDS and DSFacts.com 
LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers         
elixir
on 9/24/11 4:25 am - MI
While I don't advocate NOT following your surgeon's instructions, I can say that my surgeon cleared me for soft foods at two weeks out. Now even with soft foods you're not going to sate the chewing sensation that seems to be missing, but at least you won't feel hungry all the time.

My to-do list at two weeks included cottage cheese, plain Greek yogurt (flavored with either sugar-free syrup or Mio), re-fried beans w/salsa & sour cream, cream of whatever soup (chicken and mushroom are my faves), high protein baked potatoes (you put half a cup of cottage cheese in the blender with a couple tablespoons of milk and some finely chopped green onion, then pour it over your potato. It's better than sour cream.) I also did a no noodle lasagna which involved mixing cottage cheese, low-sugar marinara, Italian spices and an egg together, topping it w/Parm and baking at 350 for 30 mins.

You're still going to miss chewing as there isn't much involved with things like cottage cheese and mashed potatoes, but it's better than just liquids. I recently started making my protein shakes with 4oz of half and half and 4oz of water and using a scoop and a half of the Nectar Twisted Cherry and I like them soooo much better. I also tried the Designer brand protein vanilla praline flavor and it's fantastic. I bought a ton of protein samples from Vitalady and out of like the 20 that I bought those two are the best.

I am not like I was before. I thought that nothing would change me. ~Sinead O'Connor

Emily F.
on 9/24/11 4:35 am
Just make it through, eyes on the prize..............
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 977 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1169 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 439 views