Migraines+DS+Topamax?

Julie R.
on 8/24/11 2:06 am - Ludington, MI
 With the onset of perimenopause, my hormonal migraines have gotten out of control, especially in the past few months.   My doctor has prescribed Topamax for me.   She told me that two side effects are memory loss or fuzziness and weight loss.   I don't wish to lose weight, and my brain certainly shouldn't get any fuzzier than it already is, but she said these are often only temporary.   Has anyone on here taken it for migraines, and if so, what has your experience been?    She told me that its success rate in alleviating migraines is pretty significant.   Thanks!
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

P. Poster
on 8/24/11 2:23 am
Yep, I was on it prior to my DS for migraine prevention.  I was getting 2-3 migraines per WEEK before I had my DS.  It worked VERY well for me then, and got my migraines under control to the point I would only have one a month or so.  I stayed on the Topamax postop for a few months until my neuro suggested tapering it to see if I still needed it.  I was skeptical that simply losing weight would affect my migraines, but to my surprise, he was right!  I now only have 1-2 (hormonal) migraines a month, and have been able to stay off the Topamax.  In any case, yes, it worked quite well for me, and I hope you find the same result!
Julie R.
on 8/24/11 2:31 am - Ludington, MI
 I did GREAT with my migraines post DS.   I was amazed that losing weight would have that affect on them, but it did.    Since my weight is very stable, I'm assuming it's the perimenopause that's caused this resurgence.    I was in a clinical trial through the Michigan Head Pain Neurological Institute several years ago where I received Botox injections in my scalp and forehead for them.  THAT was a miracle!   If this doesn't work, I'll travel out of town to find a neuro and go for those.   Thanks for the input!

As an aside, the PCP I saw (she's new to me, but my daughter has seen her for a while) was AMAZED that I was five years out and maintaining so well.   She couldn't get over how successful this surgery had been for me, and said "We're just not seeing these kind of long-term results with the other surgeries."   Yay DS!

P. Poster
on 8/24/11 4:08 am
Oh, I'll add- the side effects for me- the tingling was *almost* unbearable at times.  The fuzzy brain was most definitely an issue as well.  I did NOT lose weight while taking it.
orangecrushed
on 8/24/11 2:28 am - Triad, NC
I've taken Topamax for a few years.  It cut down significantly on my migraines.  I still get one here or there, but they seem to be less severe than they were in the past.  I just pop a Zomig, and I'm good after a nap.

Personally, I didn't get the 'fuzzy headed' feeling.  I know it's a common complaint, but it didn't bug me... maybe I'm just scatter brained all the time, though. :p  It changed the taste of food for me (especially carbonated drinks), and caused my fingers and toes to tingle.  My neuro told me that I must have low magnesium if I had the tingly feeling.

For me, it has worked really well.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Join me here: weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/

beemerbeeper
on 8/24/11 3:17 am - AL
Not everyone gets the weight loss side effect, but enough do that I know of people who have been prescribed it for weight loss (off label of course).  It does seem to change the way things taste, and the most common complaint about taste change is that it makes coke taste bad.

As far as the cognitive changes it is known as  "Stupamax" and "Dopamax" and those cognitive problems are also pretty common.  I never heard of them resolving after an adjustment period.

It also causes a tingling/pins and needles sensation in the extrmeties which can be quite annoying.

I have a friend who is taking it right now and she not only complains about the cognitive effects but I can SEE the cognitive changes she is suffering.  She does not seem to be losing weight (she is normal weight and about 60 years old).  She says the only thing that it affected taste wise was coke.  She has never volunteered the reason she is taking it.

I hope it stops your migraines without any unwanted side effects.  

~Becky

Julie R.
on 8/24/11 3:42 am - Ludington, MI
 I sure hope I don't get the cognitive problems.   I'd rather deal with the headaches than be fuzzy-headed, although my headaches have truly affected my cognitive ability.   Yesterday, I was so bad, I couldn't even remember what I'd walked into a room for.   I can't teach if my head's not in the game 100% of the time, know what I mean?

Well, as to the coke thing, maybe I'll finally be able to break my Diet Coke addiction!

beemerbeeper
on 8/24/11 3:43 am - AL
I hope so too Julie.  As for the coke I predict you are going to be letting us know that it tastes terrible.

~Becky

buffalobillsfan
on 8/24/11 4:18 am - CA
Hi Julie,
Perimenopause sucks!  My NP says that since we are constantly changing during perimenopause, it's a work in progress to balance the hormones.  There is a pattern of surges of hormones and then depletions.  It's crazy and it helps to track your symptoms and chart your menstration cycles.  I would work on the hormonal issue over taking the migraine drug personally.  I totally get what you mean about not needing fuzzy brain and needing to be 100% while teaching. 

I started with prometrim, added testosterone and now just added estriol recently to take me thru this perimenopause stages.  I used to have up to 10 migraines a month and now I have none.  Of course I think a lot of those dealt with job stress, obesity and sleep apnea but it has gotten remarkably better as my hormones  have been balanced.  I noticed that estriol helps with bone strength which we need.  Maybe you need to get all of your levels tested again and just see if you are in a new stage of perimenopause.  Best of luck and health to you on any path you take Julie! 

Cheers,
Cathy

Julie R.
on 8/24/11 7:49 am - Ludington, MI
Ya know, Cathy, you just put a thought in my head.
I've been taking Progesta, a natural progesterone cream, for about a year and it has really helped.    I had become a bit lax with it, then ran out last month and did not take it at all.   This coincides with the exacerbation of my migraines, and I wonder, wonder, wonder if there is a connection.   I just received a new tube in the mail yesterday.  Maybe I'll try it without any Topamax for a month, and see how my migraines are next month.   In the meantime, I'll ask my doc to test my hormones.    I've never had them tested!

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 719 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1026 views