How often do you weigh yourself?

StacyAnn07
on 8/16/11 3:24 am - Del City, OK
Anytime in the past when I was loosing weight, I weighed myself multiple times a day! I know that is a horrible horrible habit. Just a curious as to how often you all weigh yourself? My hubby says I need to throw away our scale before I have surgery so I'm not obsessing over my weight lol.

trxxyy
on 8/16/11 3:40 am - Orange County, CA
I took Elizabeth N's advice and I STAYED OFF THE SCALE! Actually I do weigh myself but only once a week and the only time I deviate from that is on the 11th of each month.  The amount I weigh on the 11th of each month is the only weight that I am am keeping record of.

At first this wasn't easy but now I am so happy I have done this, I don't obsess about it and I don't  drive myself crazy if I don't have big loss from week to week.

(deactivated member)
on 8/16/11 3:42 am - Lancaster, OH
Your husband is right.

This surgery will work.  Hydrate and eat protein and you will lose weight.
If the number on a stupid scale drives how you feel about yourself, get rid of it.  Get weighed at the doctor's office, and enjoy getting too small for all your clothes.
Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 8/16/11 3:56 am
I agree with your hubs too.

If you're the type that obsesses over the scale, you will remove a lot of stress from your life if you lock the scale someplace out of reach (or in the trash)- especially post op!

I weight myself every day, BUT I'm not one to freak out if the needle doesn't drop every day, even if it bounces up dand down for a while. I trust the DS and it works. I'm more curious about the weight than anything, but I don't recommend doing what I do if you're known to get upset if the scale doesn't tell you what you want to hear. It never tells me what I want to hear, lol, if it did I'd be 150lbs by now! Har har!

For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

newyorkbitch
on 8/16/11 4:11 am
Never.  My body and my clothes tell me all I need to know.
Julie R.
on 8/16/11 5:19 am - Ludington, MI
I have a terrible relationship with the scale.  My parents used it as a form of emotional torture for me from the time I was ten years old until I was 16.     It really ****** me up, and I knew I needed to remove it as a source of anxiety from my life, for once and for all.    My surgeon told me, when I had my surgery, to "give my scale away - preferably to someone I didn't like very well."   I carried it downstairs and threw it in the garbage - right out on the street - it being trash day.    I only weighed in once a month.   When I was about, oh maybe eight months out, I bought a scale.    Now, like New York ***** I almost never get on the scale.   If my clothes feel tight, I hop on for accountability, if my clothes feel loose, I hop on to see what it says.     I would suppose I still average maybe once a month.   When we are large, we don't notice small variations in weight.  Trust me, when you are small, you do!   I can feel a three pound difference in my weight.  I can tell if it's water weight (my fingers, eyes and legs get puffy) or too many carbs weight (my waist gets thicker).   I then modify my carbs accordingly, and my pants feel loose again.  This method has been working for me now for over four years.
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

* Gail R *
on 8/16/11 5:40 am - SF Bay Area, CA
I weigh about every other dy at the same time of the morning. I very seldom weighed myself for years and years, but now it is such a pleasure. After I stoped losing weight, it was sad to not see the numbers drop-but I really didn't want to lose anymore. I keep weighing because i have always had lots of problem with fluid retention. when I see a rapind weight gain of over 3 or four pounds, I restrict my sodium intake. I can put on nearly ten pounds of water weight if I don't keep on top of it and weighing myself helps with this. I totally get what others are saying, though, about getting rid of the scale. But for me, it was a wonderful reward and kept me ontrack and off most simple carbs for over a year.

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164

airbender
on 8/16/11 6:09 am
this is really indivdualized, it is not the question of weighing that often it is what are you going to do with that information?  what is several times a day show you?  do you adjust you intake, quality and quantity depending on this? -be careful.  if you understand that the human body can fluccuate a few lbs in any given day, there is not logical reason so weigh yourself that often.  try to weight less, the same time everyday, no need to weigh more than 1x a day at most....
Heather E.
on 8/16/11 8:21 am
When I was in the losing stage, I weighed myself every single day - first thing in the morning, after my bathroom routine, no clothes, nothing yet to eat or drink.  Hah!!  Talk about obsessive.

Nowadays, I might weigh myself once or twice a week, just to make sure that I am indeed staying within my "range."  Some weeks, I don't even weigh myself at all, because I just kind of forget about it.  I have been fortunate that my weight has been completely stable for the past eight months, but I like to know once in awhile if it's staying that way.

~Heather~

HW: 249/ CW: 130/ GW: 140

Emily F.
on 8/16/11 9:45 am
I weigh myself when I feel skinny.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 862 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1110 views
Need help for my mom