Are we ENCOURAGED to eat fats?

StacyAnn07
on 8/8/11 12:06 pm - Del City, OK
I'm wrapping my head around this whole eating with a DS thing. I hope I'm not annoying you all with my questions. From what I am grasping it seems like fat filled foods are encouraged. Am I wrong about this?

beemerbeeper
on 8/8/11 12:18 pm - AL
My best advice is to read this forum.  Read, read, read.  I spent the months while I was doing pre-ops reading this forum so by the time I had surgery I was fairly prepared.

Here is an important link to bookmark and read.  Read all the links in this thread too.  www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/4280788/Repost-Request-Advice- for-Pre-Ops-with-Links/

Have you read www.DSFacts.com?

So you should know that we malabsorb 80% of the fat we eat.  If we don't eat enough fat we have problems from constipaiton to dry skin.  And you need fat to live.

Early out after surgery you won't eat much fat without seeing major oil slicks in the toilet and having diarrhea.  But after a few months have passed you will be able to work in more fats until you find out how much fat works for YOUR system.  We say YMMV a lot around here because everyone is different and we all have to find out what works for us.

The reason the surgery works so well is that with a low carb diet you can eat satisfying foods that are full fat.  Full fat sour cream and butter.  Full fat Greek yogurt and cheeses.  These foods are filling.

What you can't do is eat a lot of carbs and do really well with this surgery but again YMMV.  Some people can eat more carbs than others.

So start reading!!!

~Becky

StacyAnn07
on 8/8/11 12:20 pm - Del City, OK
YMMV?? 

beemerbeeper
on 8/8/11 12:22 pm - AL
your milage may vary.  We are all different and have to find out what works for us.

Elizabeth N.
on 8/8/11 12:23 pm - Burlington County, NJ
I'm going to answer your question with a question: What do you believe is bad/wrong/problematic about eating fat?

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 8/8/11 1:04 pm
Our surgeons advice is all over the map, but my surgeon did not advise me to eat more fat. 

I don't know if I now eat "high fat" necessarily, but I no longer avoid fat and aim for the lowest fat diet possible, fretting about ever fat calorie. I also find it much easier to eat high protein, if I can completely disregard how much fat is there. 

So, I may not have to eat more fat, but I'm FREE to, and I couldn't be happier about it.

butercup
on 8/8/11 3:02 pm - Kennewick, WA
Helps move the poo along from what I've read. I'm dreaming of eating crab legs absolutely DRENCHED in melted butter. Ooooooooh. MMMmmmmm.

I'm still pre op, but not for long!
AllieInOntario
on 8/8/11 11:34 pm
Oh... I am sooooo eager to eat crab legs.   
Pick your surgery first, then your surgeon. Not the other way around.  
PS:... Potato chips should be a food group.

I'm tired of screwing with that damn health widget.
 I've lost 125 pounds to date!!!!
   And I'm UNDER 190 now!!! 

sdld2001
on 8/8/11 9:03 pm - Summerville, SC
Our surgeons, doctors, and nuts will most definitely not "encourage" us to eat fat. But we typically can. I pay absolutely no attention to how much fat I eat. Carbs will be enemy #1 from now on.

With that being said, I have to 2nd the notion that you really need to read the forum. I think I spend a good month just reading and reading. There are over 500 pages of old posts here. The people posting may change from then to now, but the situations and questions are the same. I'd be willing to bet that any question you could possibly think of could be answered in the old posts.
Mindee

HW - 274 / SW - 265 / CW - 178 / GW 140          High BMI 53.5 / Current BMI 34.8  
scoob
on 8/8/11 10:42 pm - Somerset, KY
I don't seek out "extra" fat in most things. BUT I do eat all full fat stuff now. Also if I eat at someones house who has low fat stuff I have a harder time going poo. I do eat more marbled meats, peanut butter, higher fat foods to help with bathroom issues. I don't even look at the fat on the labels. OR calories. Just Carbs and protein. It was weird at first but now it's just normal. LOVE my DS!

Ruby

tazmaddy34 is my HW/SW/CW/GW 346/335/183/150   5'4.25"

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 864 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1110 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 377 views