Pancreatic Enzymes- Please Help

DS Girl In NJ
on 7/30/11 10:13 pm
 I went to Dr. Greenbaum for my 9 month check up a couple weeks ago and he suggested I start taking enzymes to slow my weight loss.  I have not been able to talk myself into taking one.  I have struggled with weight loss my entire life and can not imagine putting something in my mouth to slow it down.  Not to mention, the last month has been my slowest weight loss month so far.  

Has anyone taken them at 9-10 months post op that still had weight to lose?  If so, what was your experience?  Did you still make it to goal?  I had a weight analysis done and the trainer told me my ideal weight is 20 lbs less than I am now, but Dr. G says another 50.  I think he is just going by a chart.

Thanks for your help!
LilySlim Weight loss tickers
Julie R.
on 7/30/11 10:51 pm - Ludington, MI
 I'm sorry - I really disagree with Dr. Greenbaun (and a couple of other DS surgeons) who prescribe this.   I feel that he's covering his ass.   For 98% of us, our bodies just float down naturally to a normal weight range.    Some of us get a little skinny (I did) and then we bounce back.    Some of our labs get a bit off kilter during that time (mine did) and then improve.    I have had D issues, and I tried them for almost a year at three years out and they didn't work.   Also, at one year out, my weight loss pretty much came to a screeching halt (except for that brief dip down too low at 1.5 years out) and if you still have 50 pounds to lose at nine months out, I'd have to be physically forced to take them.    Just my opininon - but I've been on the boards long enough, and seen enough peoples' experience that I know that most of us do just fine without pancreatic enzyme intervention.
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

MajorMom
on 7/30/11 11:02 pm - VA
I agree with Julie. Lose as much as you can as fast as you can. Your body will most likely stop losing on its own. If you're still losing when you get to the low end of normal BMI or you're having a very hard time absorbing vitamins, then think about enzymes. 

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Sean_B
on 7/30/11 11:44 pm - Schenectady, NY
I would say to wait until you're at LEAST a year out and see if you're still losing (and how rapidly you're losing at that time)

I had my surgery in mid-November ('06) at roughly 330 lbs... I started out losing 1-3 pounds PER DAY, and by the beginning of August, I had flew down to my a--time low of 156 and was still losing 2-3 lbs per week.  At 6' 2", that was quite a bit low for me and I actually started to worry a bit.  I was already eating 4 full meals a day plus 3 snacks.  I e-mailed my surgeon telling him my normal daily intake, detailing what and when, and asking if I should take some sort of enzymes or if there was something else I should be eating different.  He responded I sounded OK for now, and that just keep up what I'm doing and we'll see how I do at my 1-yr checkup (which was technically at 11 mos).  in that time I had leveled out and seemed to be holding steady for close to a month.

Now I'm approaching 5 yrs... I have since slowly regained a little to a (for me) more comfortable an healthier weight.  I'm pretty steady, ranging anywhere from 185-190... I figure as long as I'm able to stay below 200 I'm fine

Good luck

Pre: 324 Now: 185-190 http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v362/171/99/1251208761/n1251208761_30154298_7588.jpg

airbender
on 7/30/11 11:56 pm
I think this is how this surgeon thinks, and i have seen this many times from his patients, I don't agree with this practice, especially since your bmi is still in the 30's.  if you were in the low 20's and having other issues which could not be resolved by eating I would say yes, but not now.  use your window of opportunity to your benefit......
DS Girl In NJ
on 7/31/11 1:41 am
Thanks so much for all your insight... I think I'm going to hold off on the pills for a while.
Elizabeth N.
on 7/31/11 1:46 am - Burlington County, NJ
He says this allllll the time. He's a nervous Nellie that way. My advice is not to bother with this for quite some time yet, if at all.

Emily F.
on 7/31/11 1:48 am
If you have 20 lb to still lose, there is no way I would take enzymes.
(deactivated member)
on 7/31/11 2:35 am - Beverly, NJ
Listen to your body. As good of a surgeon Dr. G is he's still just a surgeon. You know your body better. Way to go for almost being at goal by the way! Congrats!
beemerbeeper
on 7/31/11 3:32 am - AL
Oh good god in heaven.

I knew you were a G patient by the title of your thread.

PLEASE get ALL your weight off before you even consider slowing down your weight loss on purpose.

Your weight loss will stop all on its own and you WILL have a regain whether you make it to goal or not.

So please don't intentionally sabotage your weight loss now.

~~Becky

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 862 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1110 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 373 views