1 week out and feeling bad

bigsteve2010
on 7/29/11 3:42 am, edited 7/29/11 3:43 am - Williamsburg, MO
Ok i know this is prolly a dumb question but i had surgery last friday and as of now i cant eat anything i feel all shakey/jittery...have nausea....and have a feeding tube/drian in that seems to be draining too much bile(i mean ALOT) like 50oz of the black/green juice...i dont even think i drank that much today....ok i can drink water, and i push water and protein thru my tube, but even after clamping it for an hour or better it still fills right up?!?!? my bowels are working and i do pass gas...but wow...if this is normal how long do i gotta endure this its horrible!
(deactivated member)
on 7/29/11 4:15 am
 I don't think anyone here can answer that question for you Steve. You really need to call you surgeon.
Good Luck
goodkel
on 7/29/11 4:24 am
Welcome to the losers' bench! lol!

Eating? are you kidding me? TWO weeks after surgery, I was still on liquids. Luckily, sugar free Jello is considered a liquid. Have you tried that? Consider TWO TEASPOONS to be a meal. If you're hungry again in a couple of hours, have another couple of teaspoons.

Sorry, I know nothng about feeding tubes or why you have one.

Frankly, you don't need food at all at this point. You just need to drink at least 64 oz. of sugar free liquid a day. That should be your only focus. Your body is using your fat stores or food right now---YAY!

Recovery times vary widely, but I was still thinking it sucked for at least three months. Then I just got used to two or three bites of food being a meal.

Hang in there! This too shall pass and the end result is worth this. Really.
Check out my profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/goodkel/
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

teachmid
on 7/29/11 5:09 am - OKC, OK
Congratulations on your surgery. The first few weeks can be pretty tough. I had a feeding tube for 6 weeks, didn't ever clamp it and the only time it drained was when the plag accidently came out. I think you should give your surgeon a call.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

Elizabeth N.
on 7/29/11 5:20 am - Burlington County, NJ
FIFTY ounces of drainage? In how long? If you mean in a day or even two, that's excessive and worthy of a call to the surgeon right away. 50 oz. as in three pints?

If you did not do a typo, CALL RIGHT NOW. If you've drained 50 oz. in a week that's different.

I am unconcerned about your inability to eat. That's well within normal limits if you can drink fluids and you're peeing and farting and pooping even just a little bit.

Are you pushing the tube fluids at the rates you were instructed? I'm thinking you might be pushing too much, too fast.

kirmy
on 7/29/11 5:41 am - BF-Nowhere, United Kingdom
You could have an ileous...i.e. a sleeping part of your bowel that means you're not able to empty out your stomach content into the intestine bitty under your stomach.  This is pretty common but I wouldn't arse about get thee to your surgeon for a look.  It isn't uncommon for an ileous patient to have a good two liters hanging about going no where.

Meh it resolves itself and you may have to go nil by mouth and tube for a few days and live off IV fluids so you'll need to go back to your Doctor pronto. It also could be nothing at all but swelling constricting the pylorus which will sort itself out.  Still.....go see your doctor.

Breathe....it will be fine.

RIP Mickie aka Happychick.  You will be missed deeply.
bigsteve2010
on 7/29/11 6:26 am - Williamsburg, MO
now im nauseated and dry heaving even with n&v meds....im at a loss here
kirmy
on 7/29/11 6:35 am - BF-Nowhere, United Kingdom
If your stomach isn't emptying then the only way is up and out so of course you'll feel ******g awful.  The fact you have a tube draining it out is your saving grace or you'd be spewing your ring up. Many post op bowel ops have this as a complication....it is VERY common unfortunately.

Doctor visit today!

RIP Mickie aka Happychick.  You will be missed deeply.
bigsteve2010
on 7/29/11 6:37 am - Williamsburg, MO
i wont be able to see my surgeon till next week? should i head to er...or just relax?

Elizabeth N.
on 7/29/11 9:42 am - Burlington County, NJ
GO TO THE ER. NOW.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 975 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1168 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 433 views