Another BC question

KellyJTn
on 5/31/11 4:23 am - Oak Ridge, TN
I've tried to find a good answer for this, but haven't came up with much. I'm planning on getting either the Copper IUD or the Mirena IUD.  On top of this, do I have to use another form of BC also, like condoms?  I know since we malabsorb the pill wouldn't be effective, but I wasn't sure with the IUD's.  Also, which is better, the copper or mirena?

Thanks in advance! :)

~Kelly ~   
SW 364/CW 164/GW 150             

Nurse N.
on 5/31/11 5:38 am
Hello, I've had the Mirena for the past 8 years with no complications at all. Of course I have to get it changed every 5 years. I've got the lapband and I'm currently waiting to get approved for the duodenal switch. My periods are lighter and the only side effect I get is a slight headache right before my cycle starts. I love it, because its out of sight and out of mind. I hate taking the pills, because I would always forget to take it at the same time everyday to make it more effective. The Mirena actually releases progestin which causes the cervix to obstruct the passing through of sperm. I'll have to do some research to see, because once I get my duodenal switch I plan on keeping my IUD.

Nika

Lapband September 2007------>Revision to Duodenal Switch September 6, 2011

*A SETBACK IS AN OPPORTUNITY FOR A COMEBACK!

MarciRenee
on 5/31/11 5:54 am - IA
Better is a relative term when it comes to the IUD's.  It depends on what you're looking for.

Mirena - low dose hormone with the IUD = little to NO period and very effective birth control (as effective as tubal ligation, but reversible).  You can leave it in for 5 years.
Paraguard (copper IUD) = NO hormones and very effective birth control.  It CAN lead to heavier periods after implantation.  You can leave it in for 10 years.

I had the Mirena placed before my surgery.  I didn't even get the dreaded post-surgical period in the hospital, thankfully.  I LOVED it, I had almost NO period.  A tiny bit of spotting and that was it.  No PMS, no moodiness, crankiness, etc.  I also did NOT use a 2nd method of birth control b/c of how effective it is.

I had it removed about a month ago - so that I can start trying to have kids in October.  I had a real, live, honest to god period almost a MONTH to the day that I got it removed.  I don't really care for that, honestly.  But ya do what you gotta do and I think allowing my body 6 months of regular periods before trying to conceive is a good idea.
Marci       
airbender
on 5/31/11 6:12 am
i have the mirena and have not had a period in 7 years, the Cu can make your periods rather heavy,  no other form of BC is necessary.....
Blank Out
on 5/31/11 7:48 am
 I have the Mirena, still get a period, although it is lighter than my former period.  Not super light, but lighter than it used to be.  I have no complaints, except that I wish I was one of those lucky ones who doesn't get a period at all!

HW/ 302  SW/287  CW/140  GW/135

ambermay
on 5/31/11 1:54 pm
I have the Mirena.  I had it after my first child  and had it taken out to have my second.  Then had this one put in after my second child about 3 yrs ago.  I love it.  I have no periods and no hastle.

5'6" -- HW 270ish/SW 153.6/GW 150/CW 138
Amber

KellyJTn
on 5/31/11 3:08 pm - Oak Ridge, TN
Awesome, thank you ladies so much for answering my questions :)  I think I am going to schedule an appointment tomorrow :)

~Kelly ~   
SW 364/CW 164/GW 150             

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 719 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1026 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 344 views