Niacin reaction after all this time?

beemerbeeper
on 3/28/11 3:03 am - AL
I've been taking Tender Stress B-50 Complex which has 75 mgs of niacin only on Mondays for a very long time.  I used the same bottle today that is aout half full.

For the first time I had a reaction to the niacin (I'm guessing).  My hands, then lower arms, up to my elbows, and my shins became itchy and burning.  Not pleasant and a little frightening until I realized it was most likely from the niacin. My hands and arms resolved within 10 minutes but my shins remain itchy.

Since this has never happened before I'm wondering why it happened now and if it is going to happen every time I take it and/ or get worse? 

Looking forward to your comments and advice.

And as Rosanna Rosannadanna would say:  "It's always something."

~Becky

(deactivated member)
on 3/28/11 3:09 am
It can happen sporadically regardless of how long you've been on it.  I usually get about one niacin flush a month and that's it.  I take 2000mg of niacin daily in divided doses, though, in an effort to raise my genetically-low HDL at least into the mid-twenties. . .  It affects my ears the most, then involves my face, neck and upper chest.  I look really embarrassed from the redness and then get hot and itchy and start scratching like a fiend for the next 10-15 minutes.  Then everything calms down about the time my wife is ready to take me to the vet to have me tested for distemper. 
beemerbeeper
on 3/28/11 3:30 am - AL
Thank you Dr Steve!!!  I am much relieved.

~Becky

NoMore B.
on 3/28/11 3:34 am
Exactly the same experience as Steve.  I take the Stress B Complex every day, same time of day, same combination, same everything.  Most days I'm fine, but I'd say 1-2 days a month I get the Niacin rash.  It starts in my hands and arms, and my face turns red and burns up.  It lasts about 15 minutes then goes away.  I have no idea what triggers it on those odd few days and not others.
pycca
on 3/28/11 7:09 am - Haslet, TX
Like Steve said,, I take the same, but had a funny expeience,

Work with several ER docs, and cardiologists, on this one day three of us had reactions to something, I know mine was probably my niacin,, but noooo,, they had all three of us with rashes get a steroid shot,,, no one believed me !!
Panda ..
on 3/28/11 8:27 am, edited 3/28/11 8:28 am
Kayla B.
on 3/28/11 11:50 am - Austin, TX
I started getting the flush after years of not having it, too.

Took me a few times to realize what it was.  Taking it on an empty stomach seems to be a pretty big factor.
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 975 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1168 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 434 views