Charcot-Marie-Tooth and vitamin B6

Linda .
on 3/24/11 10:57 am - Gilroy, CA
Hi,

I'm waiting on approval for revision of my 1981 RNY to a DS.

I have Charcot-Marie-Tooth.  Large doses of B6 are neurotoxic to me.  Does anyone understand how the absorption of B6 is effected by the DS or know what is a safe level for me?

Thanks,
Linda
Nicolle
on 3/25/11 1:23 am
Hmmm...interesting. My husband and son have CMT1. Neither is a DSer, but my thinking on this is that I take a simple B complex and its levels are not truly mega-doses of any of the Bs (like our D can be off-the-charts dosages). It should be fine. But since I got my MD from a Crackerjack box, you should talk to your neurolgist or muskoskeletal doc about this.

Frankly, since you have the RNY already (while your caloric malabosprtion has dropped off in the 20 years since you had it, your vitamin malabsorption has not), you should have been supplementing your B already and if that did not hurt you for these 20 years, you should be fine with the DS.

One extra thought. With CMT, you surely want to keep up on your calcium and Dexascans. Be aggressive on this, since depending on your CMT and its manifestation, you could already be prone to falls and fractures. My husband broke his foot two years ago in a simple, preventable fall and it still has not healed well.

Check with a medical expert, though.

Nicolle

I had the kick-butt duodenal switch (DS)!

HW: 344 lbs      CW: 150 lbs

Type 2 diabetes and sleep apnea GONE!

Linda .
on 3/25/11 5:13 am - Gilroy, CA
I also have CMT1.  Luckily, mine is very slow progressing.

I had my RNY 28 years ago -- before internet.  My doc only told me to supplement iron.  They also told me to eat a balanced diet -- not focus on protein first.

I have taken multi-vitamins as directed by my PCPs, but nothing in large amounts.

As my balance gets worse and my weight goes up, I fall more and more.  I've fallen 3 times in the last year and it was difficult getting up due to my muscle-wasting and neuropathy.  When my weight is better, I don't fall nearly so much.

It's on my record with Dr. Keshishian that I can't have any neurotoxic drugs, but I'm going to print the latest list of them and put them in the hands of Dr. K and the anesthesiologist.  I was given something neurotoxic after my RNY and had pains shooting through the nerves in my legs for months after the surgery.  I take Cymbalta to reduce that now.

I am very lucky with my CMT compared to those who have the more crippling variations.

Thanks so much for responding,
Linda
Nicolle
on 3/25/11 6:21 am
Dr. K is one smart cookie, so I would definitely bend his ear on this and see what he says. Best of luck to you!

Nicolle

I had the kick-butt duodenal switch (DS)!

HW: 344 lbs      CW: 150 lbs

Type 2 diabetes and sleep apnea GONE!

P. Poster
on 3/25/11 1:33 am
 B6 is something we ALL need to watch, but yes you especially.  There are MANY DSers that consistently report high B6 lab values, so I am inclined to believe this particular B vite we absorb quite well postop.  I am personally dealing with a very high B6 value after taking a B-100 complex for only 3 months.  I have had to discontinue the complex and break my B vites out independently because of this.  I am NOT currently taking any extra B6, as it seems I get enough and absorb it all from my multi's.  Do check with your medical team on this, as it is certainly of utmost importance for you to keep a close eye on this.
Linda .
on 3/25/11 5:18 am - Gilroy, CA
I've been so overwhelmed by all the tests, etc., that I neglected to get a copy of my base-line blood tests.  I will have to stop by my docs office to get that so I can start tracking everything.

Thanks for your input,
Linda
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1034 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1193 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 488 views