wound infection

lindaray
on 10/21/04 2:02 pm - Southfield, MI
Has anyone had any problems with a wound infection. I had the Lap RNY on August 13. I started to get red lines going across my side and on August 18 the wound had to be cut open again. The wound had to be packed twice a day and I was on a course of antibiotics for 10 days.. I had a nurse coming to the house every day. The wound is suppose to close from the inside out. Well as it started to get smaller, the Doctor said I didn't need to pack it anymore. But then is started to ouzz green smelly pus and it had to be reopened. That was October 4., then again I had a nurse coming to pack the wound again. It was getting smaller and it seemed like it was doing pretty good but there has been so much green pus draining from the wound that yesterday, October 20, it had to be cut open again. The Doctor doesnt think I need antibiotics, but all the nurses think I should be. I am getting so discouraged. It has been 9 weeks already. I am a photographer and I carry heavy equipment and this is keeping me from work.
stephanie A.
on 10/26/04 2:48 pm - boise, id
mine was open rny and about two weeks into it , it opened, honey about 4 to 8 months to heal properly mine took 18 months and that was with addional complications and a second rny due to a ulcer. trust me antibyotics are probably not nessary keep apcking until its almost totsly closed and it will heal also rinse with saline change at least three times a day and keep covered and clean its the only way. if you need someone to talk too email me at [email protected] id love too help you been there and done that! its not fun and its not pretty but this too shall pass. talk soon bye
DeeLynette S
on 1/1/05 11:49 am - Crest Hill, IL
I also had an wound infection that took about two months to heal, only to leak the green smelly pus. There was a stictch directly under my insicion that was infected, and I had to have a wound debridement, where they go in and disinfect the wound and take out what ever is continually causing the infection, which was the stitch, and then they sew you back up. If there is pus and it smells, more than likely thats an infection, especially if it doesn't heal. A week after the wound debridement I was fine.
lindaray
on 1/1/05 1:16 pm - Southfield, MI
After 12 weeks, I ended up having surgery (debridement) I was in the hospital over night. I was in a lot of pain. I wasnt stitched up after the surgery and the wound was about the size of a golf ball. It was very scary and painful but it finally closed in about 7 weeks. I can't believe it closed so fast with the size that it was. I wish I had the second surgery weeks earlier.
Most Active