2.5 years post VGS & no problems until recent bout of left upper quadrant of abdomen...

TallGirl55
on 8/24/15 3:30 am

Has anyone ever experienced left upper quadrant pain post years VGS?  I have had  no complications with my weight loss surgery up until now.  I lost 120 lbs and happy with my weight loss.  I don't know what this pain is all about.  It feels like shooting, stabbing and spasms.  I have taken OTC Tagamet with no success.  I notice when I eat any nuts it really goes into a spasm.  I am going to contact my original weight loss surgeon, who follows me up on an annual basis.  I just wondered if anyone has experienced this after a vertical gastric sleeve surgery?

wkb2texans
on 11/4/15 7:20 pm, edited 11/4/15 11:20 am

Ask your doc about a possible hiatal hernia ...that can cause pain in the upper left quadrant.

fourdf
on 11/10/15 12:18 am

Yes it could be a hernia they are common in this type of surgery. Also make sure they do full blood work some vitamin deficiency can make your gut hurt along with other symptoms. 

Denise B.
on 12/10/15 6:41 am - Henderson, KY

I'm 3.5 years post-op gastric bypass surgery and I've been having occasional left/middle upper quadrant severe pain. Once to three times a day. It comes on fast and last about 15 minutes. It is so severe that I become hysterical and crying and practically screaming in pain. I've tried heating pad, rubbing it, acid reducer, pepto, warm or cold drink, pain medicine or Xanax to calm me. Nothing really helps much. I'm desperate for help. My surgeon is 2 hours away. Hopefully someone here can help me.

kss1973
on 7/26/16 6:35 am - Center Barnstead, NH

I have been dealing with something very similar for the last 4 yrs (2yrs post op).  Mine has become almost constant at times to the point that I feel my life is essentially on hold. All the standards have been ruled out - pancreatitis, hernia, obstruction, inflammatory, nutritional, everything. I have had a couple ulcers over the years but the pain remains when they heal. 

Sorry I can't really offer much help beyond empathy, except for this - switch off the pepto, it contains aspirin which was blamed for one of my ulcers since I was popping them like candy. 

5'1 - HW 240.5 / SW 217.5 / CW 144.0 / GW 120

StrawWalker
on 1/6/16 7:57 am
That pain is likely due to hypercalcemia. I make that assumption due to the erroneous recommendation of very high levels of calcium supplementation. If you are supplementing with high levels of calcium, try stopping.
Take care
Straw Walker

Start 290, Current 180, Goal 150
happyteacher
on 3/24/16 4:17 pm

I know this is an old post, but in case anyone reads through with something similar-- I had the same thing and it was a large hiatel hernia in conjunction with my gallbladder causing it quits. It was found initially on a CT scan, and confirmed with an upper gi. The original endoscopy ordered did not find anything other than confirming acid issues. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active