Dilated Stoma - Severe GERD

Divine Lady
on 6/3/12 3:00 am - Suburb, MI
My history, was 280 day of RNY (2005), never felt much restriction, lost only to 255 a year later, went on nutrisystem, lost to 229 by hard work of dieting and exercise, had to go on hormone therapy for other medical issue, started regaining, now up to 289 with no restriction. Recently had an EGD due to severe GERD and found out my stoma is wide open and so food just drops through. I am scheduled to see a bariatric dr. next month. I want to lose but I am more concerned about the GERD than anything else. The stomach acids just wash back up through my wide open stoma causing severe burning and pain making it difficult to function and especially hard to sleep. I have been in emergency twice because the chest pains can get so bad. Do any of the stoma surgeries (eg stomaphyx or ROSE) help with GERD even if there is no weight loss?
Divine Lady
"My 3 Rs for success: Remain focused on my goals, Remain committed, Remove Toxins from my life(toxic people, toxic situations, toxic foods)"
H.A.L.A B.
on 6/6/12 4:30 am, edited 6/6/12 4:30 am
I think you need to go back and talk to the doc. I think you are confusing a few things.

Stoma is the opening between the pouch and the small intestines.  If stoma is open - you should not get GERD... The acid that the pouch makes will just flow into the small intestines. 

RNY has the best statistic to fix GERD. But it does not work for everyone...
I did not have GERD before RNY , but post op - last 4 years i have to take antacids, or I get the reflex.  For me - RNY worked the other way....

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Divine Lady
on 6/6/12 10:04 am, edited 6/5/12 10:05 pm - Suburb, MI
Thanks for your response. I just had a Endoscopy. The Dr. that did the test said that my stomach and stoma has stretched. I have an appointment with a Bariatric surgeon. I have different insurance now and have to see a Dr. in my insurance group. I just received the records from my WLS surgeon and was surprised at what I read. All of this time, I thought I had a micropouch. In reading the report, I was not able to get a micropouch due to complications that the Dr. ran into in my surgery. The report says "unable to create a small pouch". I am just surprised that my surgeon never told me that.

Do you know if the esophyx procedure for GERD is available to RNY patients?
Divine Lady
"My 3 Rs for success: Remain focused on my goals, Remain committed, Remove Toxins from my life(toxic people, toxic situations, toxic foods)"
H.A.L.A B.
on 6/6/12 11:19 pm
I am not familiar with esophyx procedure.   Not sure what it is and what it can do... Your doc may be the best source to answer the question..

Please keep us posted.  If you have good experiance- that may help others who deal with the same issue..
There is some info I found. I do hope that will work for you.
http://www.endogastricsolutions.com/esophyx_overview.htm

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

DivineVita
on 7/27/12 7:44 am
Hi Divine,

I have the same issue. I had RNY first and while the worlld felt it was successful, I did not. Most of the weight loss came from the pre-op liquids and exercise. I only lost about 40lbs after RNY, but I looked like I had lost an entire person. Now, I'm having a revision (reduceing the size of the pouch and the stoma) due to the stretched pouch and large stoma. Hopefully it will jump start something and I can reach my goal weight or beyond.
Most Active