Being big sucks.

RRach
on 7/18/14 2:12 am

I read someone say that people avoid looking at us fatties because they are afraid of offending us. But then as we lose, everyone stares because we are fat but not as fat as we once were. 

The person said it a little more eloquently than I remember. lol 

That is not the case for me. I am so tired of people staring at me. The bigger I have gotten over the years the more people stare. I went shopping yesterday to help a friend pick out an outfit in a teeny weeny store. Nothing there would fit me. I didn't even bother looking. This little girl (probably 7 or 8 yrs old) said to her mom, "mommy she is too big to shop here." I turned away because I was embarrassed but I try to never hold comments like that against kids. They are innocent and don't mean any harm. The mom then said, "oh no honey people like her don't shop here."

Maybe this makes me overly sensitive? But I felt like Pretty Woman being kicked out of a store on Rodeo Dr. LOL! Yeah, I felt crappy the rest of the day but I am over it now. 

Just can't wait until I am smaller. 

"Never Give Up: There is no such thing as an ending. Just a new beginning.

jenorama
on 7/18/14 5:07 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

Ugh, kids are the worst!  I remember being out at Sweet Tomatoes (salad bar/pasta/soup/bread) about 18 years ago and I got up from the booth to get a second helping and a kid was all, "Mommy, look at that big fat lady!" MORTIFIED.  But at least the mom didn't agree with the kid!  Ironically, I wasn't even at my heaviest then.  

I totally know your feels about shopping with the skinny friend.  My BFF since 13 (We're 41 now) had always been absurdly tiny with the classic big boobs/tiny waist and while shopping with her back then was kind of fun in the dressing-a-doll way, I can't deny that it was a bummer to see all the things I couldn't wear.  The years and her sugar addiction have caught up with her and that kind of bums me out.  She was visiting me a couple of weeks ago and we went to San Francisco and while she weighs a lot less than me, she could barely keep up with the little bit of walking we did.

Just think about this as an opportunity to engineer your own Pretty Woman moment in a year or so!  

Jen

Gwen M.
on 7/18/14 7:18 am
VSG on 03/13/14

You're not overly sensitive.  Being the victim of bigotry always sucks :(

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Laura in Texas
on 7/18/14 11:23 pm

Awe. I'm so sorry. Kids are cruel which is one of the many reasons I had surgery. And the mom definitely could have responded better.

I don't remember hearing anyone say anything like that about me (I have never been observant that way- I never even noticed the stares) but I knew my kids would be teased for having the fattest mommy in the class and I never wanted to impose anything like that on them.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Kaydensmomma10
on 7/21/14 2:21 am - Columbus, OH

Aw I'm so sorry you went through that! Kids Trudy dont have a filter, and don't seem to realize what they say. I had my feelings crushed a couple weeks ago.. My son and his brother have bunk beds and I was trying to out the clean sheet on the top bunk so I stepped on the bottom bunk to do so....well I broke a board in the bottom bunk bed. My step son(7) says "gosh how much do you weigh???" Then my son(4)replies "my mommy is fat right bubba". My feelings were beyond hurt, only because I'm my mind I guess I never realized they noticed my weight :(. Keep your head up, and just think it's only a matter of time until it's your turn to shop in that store :)

Most Active