Hair Loss Help?

lucalaw28
on 3/15/14 1:03 pm

Hey guys, I was on a very low calorie diet for about 8 months and started losing a lot of hair, similar to what you guys went through after you had the surgery. I started shedding a lot and then I dyed my hair in November and the shedding picked up a lot.  Now my hair is getting really thin, especially on the top.  I've changed my diet recently, to healthy in content and amount of calories, but I just want to hear from you guys who have went through this, how bad it got for you and how long it took to get better.  I've been taking biotin and silica and have noticed some hairs growing in, like the curly ones people have mentioned, but I'm still shedding a lot and am wondering how long it took it to slow down and does it get back to normal, the thickness, or is it never the same again?  I understand everyone is different, but I just need to hear from others who have gone through this, cause it's been very traumatic for me, and I need a light at the end of the tunnel.  Thanks :)

TheDeathStar
on 3/16/14 1:41 pm
VSG on 10/29/13

I always have a lot of hair loss after dyeing my hair. Depending on the dye, there could have been a lot of breakage. However, if you only dyed it once in November, I kind of doubt it's still causing the problem. Perhaps you should speak with a nutritionist or dietitian to make sure you're getting enough protein. From my understanding, lack of protein can cause hair loss. I don't have an answer as to how long it takes to get back to normal. I had my gallbladder out on August and a VSG in October, so I had two surgeries pretty close to one another and got a little bald spot in front. The biotin supplements have definitely helped my nails (which have always been thin) and it feels like my hair loss has evened out, but I can't tell you if the biotin helped that at all or not. 

KittyKarin
on 3/16/14 11:01 pm - FL
VSG on 01/09/13

Hi there!

My hair loss was only around 3 to 6 months after surgery.  It stopped and has been growing back in and back to normal since.  It was a shocking thing to see those clumps of hair come out in the shower but it never got really really bad. I took some biotin but I also can't tell if it helped or not.  I agree with asking a nutritionist or your doc about it.  My understanding is that most of the hair loss is caused by the surgery and the anesthesia but then again, I think there are varying views on the subject.  Make sure to get all your protein in and eat your veggies! :-)

KittyKarin :-) Starting weight: 362 / Surgery weight: 353 / Current weight: 190 (03/27/2017)

Most Active