Confused, confused, confused!!!!!

Imakitekat
on 10/22/13 8:03 pm - ID
VSG on 09/23/13

I am in my 4th week out from surgery.  This may sound strange but I don't  know when I am hungry but I know I am supposed to eat.  Once I start to eat and can't eat anymore, I feel like I am still hungry and want more but can't.  Is that head hunger?  I can't eat the artificial sweeteners at all, as well I am gluten sensitive and also lactose although the lactose hasn't been such a problem, I guess since I am eating such small amounts.  I have IBS also which limits some of the things I  can eat ( gassy foods mainly) , but I have been eating beans regardless and suffering the consequences, but I need to get the protein through my food, which my doctor would rather me do anyway.  I am only drinking about half the water, it just feels like there is no room in my tummy for 64 ounces. What would be some good food combinations?  I have been having a little apple juice really watered down and a few mashed Potatos.  The water has been kind of boring and I know the Potatos aren't optimal but it seems to settle in my tummy better then a lot of the other things I have tried.  I am getting burnt out on soup..........I am cleared to eat anything, but the soups just seem to settle better..... I just don't feel like I am doing things right, I don't know.  I really like my doctor but he didn't give detailed meal plans, it was more like stay hydrated and try to eat 60 to 80 grams protein.  Just not sure what kinds of food combos I should be trying??? Also it seems like when I start eating I feel ravounous , which makes me think I am not eating enough but it seems like it takes a long time for my tummy to empty, I try to eat slow but that seems hard to do too...........I don't regret anything, I guess I am just having a hard time.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks in advance!

mickeymantle
on 10/23/13 1:24 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

are you taking a ppi acid feels like hunger to many

the apple juice and potatoes have a lot of carbs witch will make your hungry

beano will help with the gas , but you need to drink more ,64 oz minimum or you will end up in the er

don't know if it helps but my dog has ibs and feeding him fish and no grains does wonders for him 

have you tried a soy or egg based protein shake

if it does not improve soon you need to talk to your surgeon , you may need your sleeve stretched

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

emelar
on 10/23/13 2:47 am - TX

Yes, you're fighting head hunger.  I had the same issue in the first few months - tummy full, but mouth and head still looking for something to eat.  To a certain extent, you just white knuckle through it.  Things that help - take a PPI or acid reducer (my plan put all of us on pepcid ac immediately, then went to something stronger if you needed it); DRINK!  Both acid and dehydration feel like hunger.  Since you're sensitive to artificial sweeteners, try adding unflavored protein powder to plain chicken broth - it provides the double whammy of protein and fluids.  Or Unjury has a chicken soup protein powder.

When you eat, go to protein first.  Stick to moist cuts of meat (chicken thighs, tuna), add some cheese.  You're better off eating less of the dense protein than relying on beans.  Hope this helps and best of luck!

Imakitekat
on 10/23/13 9:37 am - ID
VSG on 09/23/13

Thanks everyone I will give the unflavored protein another try!  Glad to know it is head hunger and I do take nexium up to twosomes a day!  I didn't know dehydration made you hungry too, good to know..........thanks again!

Most Active